Best mp3 player > 4 GB for line-in recording?
Jun 5, 2006 at 8:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

jajaja

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I'm new here.
I'm currently looking for an electronic companion to record my DJ-Sets via line-in. Do you have any recommendations on mp3-players that can record at a decent quality and bitrate?
I intended to get an Iriver H10 but then I heard it only records at 128 kps? Is that true?
What about volume control of the incoming audio signal?

Thanks for all your answers,

jajaja

Jun 5, 2006 at 8:54 AM Post #2 of 15
Maybe zen neeon
hdd available at 5gb and can record mp3 upto 160kbs with line-in
there is also a flash one with 2gb memory

Jun 5, 2006 at 11:54 AM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
The H10 will record at up to 320Kbps with the cradle.

Great! You're sure about this, right? Because I had read some 6 months ago on misticriver.net that it records in 128 only....
(see the old thread here: http://www.misticriver.net/showthread.php?t=13848)
and is the quality as good as the bitrate sounds? Am I able to control the recording level?
(sorry to be so insistent but I'm basing my decision mainly on the recording feature)

Jun 5, 2006 at 1:28 PM Post #5 of 15
I believe the poster who said 128 doesn't own a cradle, recorded by the Mic and assumed that the Low, Med High settings were the same bitrate for all recording modes. The High in Mic record records at 128kbits. In Line mode through the cradle, it's 320. The quality is OK and you can adjust the level (with no visual or audio feedback apart from checking the recording later), but if you're looking for best recording flexibility you're probably best off looking at Sony's Hi-MD's.

Jun 5, 2006 at 2:14 PM Post #6 of 15
no, if possible I want to avoid stupid proprietary storage formats such as MD's..
I heard the H10 (and some others) have auto-level functionality at the line-in, does anyone know about this?

Jun 6, 2006 at 9:01 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by jajaja
no, if possible I want to avoid stupid proprietary storage formats such as MD's..
I heard the H10 (and some others) have auto-level functionality at the line-in, does anyone know about this?

If you want to go above 128 its hard on flash players - as far as I know they all use chips that are capped at 128 for onboard recording.

The Ipod's have an add on (Griffin?) which may allow above 128 kbps. But it is an add on module not onbaord.

Jun 6, 2006 at 9:52 PM Post #8 of 15
Jun 6, 2006 at 10:34 PM Post #9 of 15
The R-09 would be an excellent solution but I assumed that with him planning to buy an H10 it would have to be something out of the bargain basement counter. And with Hi-MD ruled out it's not an easy choice. I can't really think of any reliable superior solutions at the moment. H320 would be a tank but you wouldn't need a cradle... but you'd have to buy used. The iAudio X5's Line In is a bit suspect.

Jun 6, 2006 at 10:58 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
It's new takes 2GB SD cards but is probably far greater recording quality than consumer gear. The new Edirol R-09.

http://www.rolandus.com/products/pro...7&ParentId=114

I'm considering getting one just for the optical output and recording outside.

I work in journalism and the thing I dont understand is why all the so-called professional digital recorders" dont come remotely close to hitting the mark as this one.

They are have weirdo proprietary recording formats - which defeat the purpose of digital recording. I dont need to record precious material and then be stuck looking for a PC that has your butt-azz propreitry software. Jeez.

The only thing this lacks IMO is Ogg Vorbis recording format. Dropping MP3 for Ogg Vorbis would probably lower the cost, too.

Other than that, it is pretty much what a professional recorder should be.

Jun 6, 2006 at 11:03 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
The R-09 would be an excellent solution but I assumed that with him planning to buy an H10 it would have to be something out of the bargain basement counter. And with Hi-MD ruled out it's not an easy choice. I can't really think of any reliable superior solutions at the moment. H320 would be a tank but you wouldn't need a cradle... but you'd have to buy used. The iAudio X5's Line In is a bit suspect.

Yes the market is really slim picking right now. I just had to throw something out there prices aside.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oga
The only thing this lacks IMO is Ogg Vorbis recording format. Dropping MP3 for Ogg Vorbis would probably lower the cost, too.

I think MP3 is just more widely used and with Ogg using more battery life, it was a better decision.

Jun 6, 2006 at 11:09 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
Yes the market is really slim picking right now. I just had to throw something out there prices aside.

I think MP3 is just more widely used and with Ogg using more battery life, it was a better decision.

Better sound quality on the Ogg vorbis - much better. I use a WM 2003 PPC phone as my interview recorder right now and pound for pound the Ogg Vorbis gives you much clearer sound when are listening for what someone said - which is the point with these devices: accuracy.

The battery life "issue" I personally have not seen it emerge as practical issue. Maybe on the margins of theory - I record in the interviews in Ogg vorbis only right now. But the sound clarity is just streets ahead at low bit-rates.

Jun 7, 2006 at 10:17 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oga
The Ipod's have an add on (Griffin?) which may allow above 128 kbps. But it is an add on module not onbaord.

what module would that be? even for the nano? with line-in? couldn't find that on the griffin website...

Jun 7, 2006 at 1:43 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by jajaja

With HiMD you can record in ATRAC and transcode to any format you want. If you don't want to transcode, you can use WAV/PCM, but you are them limited to 94 mins recording. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minidisc#Recording_modes. Obviously you can swap discs but that wouldn't be viable for a DJ set. Pity because it does everything else you want. If it were me I'd probably buy two cheap older HiMD's. One as a back up in case one fails for some reason. But then I like HiMD for recording.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back