Best MP3 player... <$150
Mar 13, 2006 at 4:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

jagged

100+ Head-Fier
Lookin for the best MP3 player with SOUND QUALITY being the aboslute most important.

I have a Dell DJ30 which I think sucks, and I've heard that Apple products are sub par.

I"ll be running it with a portable cMoy amp...

Mar 13, 2006 at 6:57 PM Post #2 of 11
I actually like my 2GB iPod Nano. The 1GB version will run you $150.

I love the sound, but the case material attracts scratches and fingerprints like an Asian strip joint attracts middle-aged businessmen.

Mar 13, 2006 at 11:45 PM Post #3 of 11
If you're going to use an amp, I think your best option is a dockable ipod. You can get a mini-dock/lineout for it and supposedly it's much better for pairing with an amp than any other option. The Nano 1gb is the smallest dockable ipod so that seems like it might fit with your needs.

Mar 14, 2006 at 2:01 AM Post #4 of 11
I'm on my second Creative MuVo, the sound is fantastic. I now have the 256 MB MuVo TX FM, and I replaced the headphones, I have had so many people blown away by the sound and the size. Way better value vs. an iPod nano, no cord, built in FM tuner ... highly recommended if you want an inexpensive, amazing sounding flash player that also plays FM (great for listening to while working out).
Randy

Mar 14, 2006 at 2:08 AM Post #5 of 11
forgot to mention,
the MuVo's don't scratch at all. I've dropped it many times, never a problem. My first was 128 MB (gave it to my son), my current is 256 MB, now they are available up to 1 GB I believe - MuVo's are all flash drive so no skipping to worry about.

I play mine through my receiver using a mini to RCA cord, and to my car stereo using either the same cord as previous for one car, and my new Jeep was smart enough to put a mini-plug input jack on the front, so I use a mini to mini for that one.
I've been tempted to buy one of Creative's Zen Micro units, not just because they hold more music, but because they are compatible with the subscription music sites like Yahoo (I pay $6/month and can listen to anything); as long as the pay the monthly fee, you can sync to certain mp3 players including the new Creative Zen's. Again if you read the reviews and compare features vs. the iPod's, Creative's products are great. They just don't believe in advertising like Apple does!
hope that helps,
Randy

Mar 14, 2006 at 1:11 PM Post #7 of 11
Creative Zen Nano Plus 1Gb

Mar 14, 2006 at 3:11 PM Post #9 of 11
My Iaudio U2 has great SQ vs. the Ipods I've tried, although I really wish it has a lineout and FLAC support. (but it has a line-in..
mad.gif
)
The USB connection is nice, too - no software needed.

Mar 14, 2006 at 3:44 PM Post #10 of 11
I can second the U2. It's an excellent player, and I think it's more convenient for pocketed use than the Nano with it's joystick and "cigarette lighter" dimensions.

Mar 14, 2006 at 4:13 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarsVolta
My Iaudio U2 has great SQ vs. the Ipods I've tried, although I really wish it has a lineout and FLAC support. (but it has a line-in..
mad.gif
)
The USB connection is nice, too - no software needed.

I have an i5, a 1GB version. It has a line-in. What is that about? If you're going to be serious about recording you're not going to be using a $150 flash player.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back