Best MP3 Codec and Encoder
Oct 3, 2002 at 12:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

somertech

New Head-Fier
I just bought an Apple iPod (20GB PC version), and some Sennheiser 497s, so I'm investing more in the concept of MP3 encoding.
I've used a variety of encoders without much distinction between them, but as of late have been wondering whether or not there is a "reference" MP3 encoding product(s).

I've used Music Match JukeBox, Windows Media Player 8 with an MP3 pluggin by InterVideo and I believe dbPowerAmp. Although I can't be certain, it seems to me that some of the CDs I encoded with MusicMatch had more artifacts than the other encoders.

So now that I've got a super nice MP3 player and decent headphones (also thinking of investing in an AIRHEAD amp), I want to know what the best MP3 encoders/codecs are out there (prefferably freeware).

If I'm going to take the time to encode my entire music collection, I don't want to have to do it again because of shoddy encoding.

Thanks In Advance

Oct 3, 2002 at 2:05 PM Post #5 of 9
MTRH, I know the style of writtting is a little "self-indulgent" however, I think the information is for the most part very useful and well targeted to people first starting digital encoding.

Please point out what parts of the post are BS. I also visit HA every now and then and other than IDv2 tags and his over excitement over MP3 quality, the suggestions here seem to be the ones HA is recommending.

Zin

Oct 4, 2002 at 12:41 AM Post #6 of 9
Well, I've encoded a few CD's according to the article by Chris Myden, and yes the quality is noticeably better with EAC\LAME than with what I've been using before, especially with recordings that weren't that great to begin with. But, the file sizes are also huge.
I can appreciate the concept behind VBR encoding, but in practice (at least for the kind of music I listen too) the resulting file sizes are bigger than I would prefer.

Thank Goodness I've got a 20GB player, becuase I am gonna need avery bit of it, if I re-encode my entire collection using this method.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back