Best/Most Versatile Headphone
Oct 25, 2009 at 6:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

yeahman68

Head-Fier
Originally posted on the wrong forum. Anyways, the source will likely be the Cowon S9 using wav files. I don't really have a specific music genre because I listen to everything. However, a good midrange is important.

Oct 25, 2009 at 11:36 PM Post #5 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by yeahman68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
mythless, dude you choose ms1 over the ath-m50 because of music preferences?

There are two reasons why I chose the MS1i over the M50, first is price, shipping is horrendous to Canada, not to mention customs/tax. Second, having heard the grado SR80->SR325, and read a lot of information regarding the MS1i, they do well with my musical preference, rock and jazz primarily, and are decent for the rest. And, on a side note, I am a sucker for bang for your buck type of headphones/iems.

Nov 3, 2009 at 10:02 PM Post #6 of 21
SRH840, M50.

Nov 3, 2009 at 10:19 PM Post #7 of 21
EDIT: nvm this post.

Nov 3, 2009 at 10:38 PM Post #10 of 21
Without amp, I'd go with SRH840s.

Nov 3, 2009 at 10:45 PM Post #11 of 21
What the heck is this going to mean if "other" gets the most votes? Not enough selection, perhaps? I'd put the Shure SRH-840 in there for sure, and switch "MS-1" for "MS-1(i)" to include both very similar models. What about the Koss PortaPro and Sennheiser PX100 as well (as long as we can deem them big enough to be in the "full size" category)?

Nov 3, 2009 at 10:52 PM Post #12 of 21
Well, the px100s and Porta pros are certainly a good bang for the buck, but since the definition is only "best unamped" I think they fall behind many others..

Edit: Not to mention versatility, which I don't think is a trait of Porta Pros.

Nov 3, 2009 at 11:33 PM Post #13 of 21
If you want a great closed can may also want consider Roland RH-300. They don't sound as good as Denon AH-D2000, but require less power than the Denons, are much smaller and much more versatile since they can be used both at home or as portable cans. The sound character is very similar to that of ATH-M50 and I believe that they use the same drivers, but Roland is a step above the M50s IMO, offering a more balanced sound.

You may also want to try Fostex T50RP which can be bought for real cheap off ebay ($69), but they are not for everyone - they have a VERY flat response so may sound a bit boring. The aforementioned Roland cans are certainly more colored and fun.

Nov 4, 2009 at 1:47 AM Post #14 of 21
I haven't tested the Denon and it's been a long time I've tested the AD700, but the most versatile is surely not Ms1.
smily_headphones1.gif

Ms1 is a very good bargain but is not great with everything.

Another difference is that AD700 is the only closed headphone.

Nov 4, 2009 at 2:15 AM Post #15 of 21
I do think that the PortaPro is good with pretty much anything I throw at it (contrary to some genres which my MS-1i's do not handle well at all). I'd like to put my headphone in the ring and say that I confidently believe that the Koss PortaPro is the most versatile headphone being made right now. Of course there are many that are better in their own right, but it is certainly a reputable jack of all trades (yet perhaps master of none) that has kept lock-step with music and its many permutations over the last 25 years. The fact that they have not changed its sound signature for two and a half decades says an ear-full.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back