Best Modern Shoegazing
Jul 30, 2004 at 1:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

pandasonic

100+ Head-Fier
After hearing "Sometimes" on the Lost In Translation soundtrack I've been hooked on shoegazing. I've already got what most of the people consider to be the classics (Slowdive, MBV, Lush, Ride, etc.) I would like to know what else is out there and new. I know the scene is alive and well; fortunately I live in Sacramento, home to Clarierecords which seems to be one of the labels pushing the genre out there. Any reccomendations?

Jul 30, 2004 at 1:25 AM Post #4 of 29
Tonevendor is an awesome store. It's a small place on J and 18th street in downtown. If you're a fan of shoegazing/indie/etc. It takes as much out of my wallet as Head-Fi does. if you're ever down in sacramento, should check it out.

yeah, i'm on way to pick up m83. state side released 2 days ago with bonus material!

actually, Sacramento has a pretty good music scene, and if you throw in nearby Davis, it gets even better.

Jul 30, 2004 at 5:46 AM Post #5 of 29
Try out Asobi Seksu. They are a NYC band with a japanese female lead vocalist (that sings primarily in english) with an incredible shoegaze like sound. They are awesome. They do have poppier songs but when they do the wall of noise they do it very well. Check them out.

Jul 30, 2004 at 7:49 PM Post #8 of 29
a few that I own and enjoy:

Southpacific - CONSTANCE on Turnbuckle Records, 2000.

Great if you're into the late Slowdive sound.. on many tracks you can almost imagine that if Slowdive wouldn't have morphed into Mojave 3, they might have sounded something like this.

The Autumns - ANGEL POOL on 404 Music Group, 1997

Definately worth checking out if you're into the late 80's Cocteau Twins sound.. big washing swooshy guitars and cavernous echoing drums. But not too heavy, very floaty.. also, the songs are more stretched out and longer than many more pop-oriented tunes from the early 90's gazer era.

Do you have any Bailter Space? They've not new by any means, but if you haven't heard them, check out their album ROBOT WORLD. One of the best shoegazer albums of the early 90's.. They can rock hard but can also lay down really sweet beds of bliss-out distortion. Probably most similar to Catherine Wheel, if you've heard them.

One more I might suggest, a little more well-known is Yo La Tengo's I CAN HEAR THE HEART BEATING AS ONE. This album is all over the place, lots of styles, many accoustic moments but also lots of fuzzy bliss as well. Definately belongs in your collection if you're a shoegazer fan.

-jar

Jul 31, 2004 at 5:51 PM Post #9 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by pandasonic
Auburn Lull is one of the best bands I've ever heard.

Yes, indeed. Their album (Alone I Admire) is probably the best in its genre. They have new album out (Cast from the Platform), worth checking out.

You might want to check this album by Raymond Scott Woolson titled Atmospherium sonically similar to Auburn Lull.

Other shoegazer album you might be interested
Air Formation - Ends in Light
Highspire - Your Everything
Lovesliescrushing - Glissceule

Aug 1, 2004 at 1:42 AM Post #12 of 29
If you are looking for shoegazing as opposed to ambient/electronica here are some most people don't have (except Bong)

Starflyer 59
-Silver
-Gold
-Americana
Later albums are more straight alternitive, get these 1st three albums.

My Vitreol
-Finelines
Essential little known album, as good as any of the genre giants, very cheap used:
Finelines

Bailter Space
-Robot World
-Vortura
-Wammo
-Capsul
Masonjar is right, shoegaze with noise pop elements.

Swervedriver
-Raise (unsung masterpiece of Shoegaze genre, hard to find now)
-Mezcal Head

Lush
-Gala
-Spooky
-Split
Combine MBV with Cocteau Twins and you have Lush

Catherine Wheel
-Ferment
-Chrome
You probably have these, if not they are essential.

Verve
-Storm in Heaven
Early album that has shoegaze influence.

Aug 1, 2004 at 1:53 AM Post #13 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel
If you are looking for shoegazing as opposed to ambient/electronica here are some most people don't have (except Bong)

Starflyer 59
-Silver
-Gold
-Americana
Later albums are more straight alternitive, get these 1st three albums.

My Vitreol
-Finelines
Essential little known album, as good as any of the genre giants, very cheap used:
Finelines

Bailter Space
-Robot World
-Vortura
-Wammo
-Capsul
Masonjar is right, shoegaze with noise pop elements.

Swervedriver
-Raise (unsung masterpiece of Shoegaze genre, hard to find now)
-Mezcal Head

Lush
-Gala
-Spooky
-Split
Combine MBV with Cocteau Twins and you have Lush

Catherine Wheel
-Ferment
-Chrome
You probably have these, if not they are essential.

Verve
-Storm in Heaven
Early album that has shoegaze influence.

Curve
-Pubic Fruit (collects 1st three EPs together, amazing)
-Every album (they are all great)

Aug 1, 2004 at 8:46 AM Post #14 of 29
Ambulance Ltd released their self-titled debut earlier this year, should really check it out. *link*
plainface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back