Best Mobile Setup for Under 1500.00?
Sep 4, 2013 at 12:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Monsterzero

Headphoneus Supremus
So Ive been reading and demo'ing different combos for awhile now and feel like its about time I get my mobile setup...

Im debating whether I should go for HiFi M8 coupled with my Ipod Touch 3G(already own) and a really nice set of HPs

OR

A modded AK100 + a portable amp(I like The Continental,but am open to ideas/suggestions) and a lesser HP

I realize that the AK100 can play 24/96 files and the Ipod cannot...I also recognize the added storage capacity advantage of the AK100 over the Ipod too.My main concern is music quality and "Bang for your Buck" factor.I dont want to go over 1500 usd,and would prefer to keep it as far under that figure as possible without taking a substantial hit in sound quality.

I do have an ever growing collection 24/96 files that Id really enjoy hearing properly,something the Ipod cannot do,but where I live the AK100+Continental will run me about 1300-1400 usd(still need to get the HPs too),whereas the HiFi M8 will run me about 750.00+headphones,but lose the storage capacity and ability to play anything above standard CD rip quality.

Thoughts?Ideas?Comments?Suggestions all appreciated.

EDIT: I just realized I posted this in the wrong section...sorry!

Sep 4, 2013 at 5:10 PM Post #2 of 2
I'm still figuring out what kind of portable rig config I want myself, but having the ability to play 24/96 or higher files natively may not be as big of a concern as you think. Check out this thread on the forums to get some more information on that. Personally, I've not been able to tell the difference between 24/96 and 16/48 file, but your mileage may vary.

As far as the rest goes, the headphones should be your primary purchase because it always makes the biggest difference in SQ. Pair it up with a DAC/AMP combo (like the M8, HP-P1, PHA-1 etc.) and you're good to go. I've got the HP-P1 myself and I love it, but I'm looking at dual mono outputs now for it.

If you don't buy the AK100 I'd think you could have plenty of budget room to buy a nice DAC/AMP, and some great headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back