Best mobile amp?
Mar 20, 2005 at 3:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Soundbuff

100+ Head-Fier
I'm new to portable amps...

What's the best choice for a small portable amp to be used with a flash player outdoors?

I'd like to use a pair of Beyerdynamic DT 770-80's with an IAudio U2 flash player for evening walks but the U2 doesn't have enough power to really drive the 770's properly (only a small internal lithium battery).

If I get a small pocket amp to use with the DT 770-80's and the Iaudio U2, it has to be as small and light as possible...with good sound quality. What are the best choices?

Mar 20, 2005 at 3:50 AM Post #3 of 6
Hi Mike,
You might want to check the FS forum nowadays, because there will probably be lots of supermacro v1's coming up at a lower price (~150$), because xin released the SM v3 and one can upgrade to that and keep the SM v1 board.
Edit: or maybe the up and coming supermini?
-Akos

Mar 20, 2005 at 4:44 AM Post #4 of 6
What's your budget? On the low end are the MINT amps. On the high end you have the SR71. The SuperMacro is also very popular now. The latest version is coming out, so as was suggested, you may be able to get an old version of the amp used fairly cheaply.

There is also a Larocco Audio Pocket Reference, which is very expensive, but is being offered at a discount in a group buy at the ipod studio

Mar 20, 2005 at 4:55 AM Post #5 of 6
If you mind waiting a bit, Zemo just updated his website with some new amps. They look pretty nice too, www.z-audio.com is the address
icon10.gif

Mar 20, 2005 at 6:11 AM Post #6 of 6
The SuperMacro 3 looks really good but the options are confusing me. What are the good points/bad points about getting the Standard vs. the 4 feature switch vs. the SuperMacro 3 w/ opamp and buffer sockets?

I have read the 4 feature switch comes in handy for certain canalphones (impedence switch is good for making ER-4p sound as good as ER-4S; bass boost is good for both; gain boost is good for certain headphones; crossfeed option may be nice. But I wonder if this stuff is mostly unnecessary and if the extra circuitry degrades the sound a little.

Is the SuperMacro 3 w/opamp and buffer sockets the best choice for good sound if you don't need the other features? Also, is the SuperMini the same size (just a downgraded version of the SuperMacro 3) or is it also smaller and lighter? How is the sound quality/battery life of each compared to the other?

Appreciate feedback from owners
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back