Best Method of DAE...
Sep 13, 2004 at 12:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Piccolo Daimaou

100+ Head-Fier
I have a Plextor CD-RW drive. I've also been using Exact Audio Copy for years, but every now and then I encounter a track or two or even an entire CD that, for whatever reason, EAC won't read. Enter PlexTools. PlexTools will rip that which is unrippable with EAC (at least from my experience). My question, though, is which of the two offers superior DAE, Exact Audio Copy or PlexTools?

Also, does PlexTools automatically normalize any WAVs that it rips? I ask only because I'd rather it didn't do this.

Sep 13, 2004 at 2:03 AM Post #2 of 5
PlexTools is better only on Plextor drives (as it only works on Plextor drives). On all other drives EAC is the best. [Sorry, can't help you with your other question].

Sep 13, 2004 at 8:02 AM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Radar
PlexTools is better only on Plextor drives (as it only works on Plextor drives). On all other drives EAC is the best. [Sorry, can't help you with your other question].

I've never heard that Plextools is better than EAC.... got any links for more info on that?

Sep 13, 2004 at 9:29 AM Post #4 of 5
i was also unable to rip songs using EAC on a cd that was badly scratched.
using secure mode, it will simply read till a halt, and hangs there..

with burst mode & test, the CRC checks are never the same..the CD is simply too damaged.

Quote:

Q:
I only get many pops and clicks when extracting a very badly scratched CD in secure mode, what can I do?

A:
It could possible to revive them by copying them in burst mode to hard disk. The high readout speed keeps the optical system of the drive from following the scratches instead of the audio track. After copying check the copies out, perhaps there were still errors left.

i would believe your plextools is using burst mode..

the eac faq here : http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/eac11.html

Sep 13, 2004 at 8:39 PM Post #5 of 5
Actually, Plextools only works in burst mode but uses a different method of error correction (which most drives don't support) than EAC. The reason EAC doesn't use that method is because not all drives support the required read features to use that method. Check out this link.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back