Best method for adding visual spectrum analyser to PC(Roon/Tidal)?
Jan 30, 2022 at 1:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

akelew

100+ Head-Fier
Would love some advice on how to go about adding a visual spectrum analyser onto my pc that works in line with Roon or Tidal etc as opposed to playing music through a specific app that has its own visualisation plugins.

I'm trying to find something that looks good, updates quickly that allows me to visualise the sound in real time, while not negatively impacting the sound quality by analysing it.

I've done a lot of googling but am struggling.

Thanks!

Jan 30, 2022 at 3:48 AM Post #2 of 3
There may be a simpler way (I'm not a Roon user, but maybe there's a way to use its zone output into another piece of software on your computer?), but in theory you could use software that allows you to create a virtual audio device, which you can then select as the output device for roon or tidal.

For instance JRiver has this functionality. I believe you can also do this with the current full version of Ableton?
JRiver and Ableton both have VST functionality so you could then use the visualizer plugin of your choice if you don't like their inbuilt ones.

There is also VB-Cable, a virtual patch cable (there are also similarly functional virtual mixers) which creates output and input devices- I believe it also allows you to multiplex/loopback so you could split the signal from roon to both your DAC and an analyzer or visualizer software (or any other software that accepts input like DAW, or some music players)

I haven't done any of this stuff myself though, so can't guarantee it works. Have tried Jriver as an audio output device & EQ (via VST) for tidal and system audio which seemed to work ok (other than adding latency).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back