Best Metalcore/Deathcore/Post Hardcore Albums for Audiophiles
Oct 9, 2013 at 10:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

BTBAM

New Head-Fier
Alright so, I am a decently young audiophile who enjoys listening to metal. For the sake of this thread I'm asking for some suggestions regarding above average metalcore albums. Thats basically it. I'm also a big fan of progressive music so if you could find albums where the band doesn't just chug chug chuggity chug-chug-chug that would be great :p I'll be using Grado SR80i's. Some bands I really like are: Dance Gavin Dance, Between the Buried and Me, Oceans Ate Alaska, The Word Alive, A Day To Remember, As Blood Runs Black, Trivium, Wintersun

Some that I recommend:

Dance Gavin Dance - Happiness
Dance Gavin Dance - Acceptance Speech
Every Between the Buried and Me album after Alaska
Trivium - Shogun

Also, I realize there is already a thread about good metal/rock albums but I've looked through the thread and most of the albums are from bands who do "traditional" metal and such. Although I'm a selective fan when it comes to "traditional" metal, I'm more curious about the punk side of metal. 

Oct 9, 2013 at 6:51 PM Post #2 of 14
There is no punk side to metal. I don't care for punk but I was always under the impression real punk died when danzig left the misfits. But my suggestion to you is grt pandora enter a few bands you like and rate the songs and you'll be impressed by how good they can match your taste

Oct 9, 2013 at 7:05 PM Post #3 of 14
Arch enemy-
wages of sin
Anthems of rebellion
The root of all evil

Soil work- a predators portrait

Inflames-
Colony
Whoracle
Clayman

The agonist-
Both albums are good

Norther-
Mirror of madness

Children of bodom-
Follow the reaper
Hate crew death roll

At the gates-
Slaughter of the soul

The haunted-
The haunted made me do it

Into eternity-
The in curable tragedy

Luna mortis-
The absence

There are probably more I'm forgetting but I was in to these bands and some were amazing at the height of the "Gothenburg sound" (melodic death metal) and some of these bands aren't as good butt each of those albums is the best ones from them I started off with wages if sin and clayman so right away I felt like anything not as good was a waste.

Oct 13, 2013 at 8:51 AM Post #4 of 14
I'll chime in with some deathcore

All Shall Perish - This is Where it Ends -->  Fantastic recording sound.  The drums don't sound mechanical or too "clicky".  

Humanity's Last Breath - Self/Titled -->  Been listening to this nonstop recently.  It is heavy.  It is reeeeeaaallllyyyy heavy.  Every part of it just sounds like they are playing atop tall buildings.  Not to mention they mix in some dark sounding electronics.  The whole album has a dark feel to it.  Some deathcore bands try too hard to be dark sounding.  This...this is the real deal to me.

The Acacia Strain - Wormwood -->  Another huge album.  Nasty, mean, and angry.  But damn is that production ridiculously clear.  

I Killed Everyone - Necrospire -->  This is deathcore by way of 90's death metal production.  Literally if this had been released in the 90's it would fit right in.

Hester Prynne - Black Heart Market -->  Nice organic sounding production.  Everything sounds real.  Not to mention every song stands on its own.  

Whitechapel - This is Exile --> Sick sick sick.  Nice full-bodied warm production.  But dark sounding(as in evil.)

Aegeaon - Dissension -->  Mammoth release.  Great sound.  The drums sound nice and organic and big.  Space-themed to boot.  

Okay and now here is my recommendation for blowing speakers or headphones(so don't turn it up to loud.)

King Conquer - America's Most Haunted -->  Holy ****.  That is what I have to say about this one.  I mean my goodness this album is loud!!!!  But damn do I love this band.  

So there are some albums coming from the deathcore category.

Oct 13, 2013 at 3:11 PM Post #5 of 14
I also just want to add my opinion in now I've been doing this "audiophile" ( for the record that name sounds like a music rapist or some kind of musical pervert) thing for a a small while and I can honestly say that in my experience I don't think you shoukd waste money on exspensive headphones EVER because let's be honest growling and screaming isn't as difficult as actually singing. Most of the time you won't be able to tell instrument separation or head a very big sound stage. However if you want to start listening to dio that's a different story something like that is where your equipment can make a huge difference and you can hear their voice more accurate.

Oct 13, 2013 at 3:20 PM Post #6 of 14
I also just want to add my opinion in now I've been doing this "audiophile" ( for the record that name sounds like a music rapist or some kind of musical pervert) thing for a a small while and I can honestly say that in my experience I don't think you shoukd waste money on exspensive headphones EVER because let's be honest growling and screaming isn't as difficult as actually singing. Most of the time you won't be able to tell instrument separation or head a very big sound stage. However if you want to start listening to dio that's a different story something like that is where your equipment can make a huge difference and you can hear their voice more accurate.

Disagree.

Just because you think growling/screaming isn't as difficult as singing doesn't meean it's more/less enjoyable.
To me, it sounds like you're kind of saying metal is only about anger and noise, where as it's plenty as involving as any other genre of music.

Granted, most metal isn't produced all that well, but that goes for a lot of music today. I give a crap how good Krauss is produced,
it just doesn't move me.

And all my crappy metal hasn't been hampered as my gear scales up. 

I think a lot has to do with our music taste changing/evolving. We're all bias for something.

After The Burial - Rareform

Darkest Hour - Deliver Us

Alexisonfire -  Crisis

Converge - All We Love We Leave Behind

Killswitch Engage - Disarm The Descent 

Memphis May Fire - Challenger

Our Last Night- We Will All Evolve

More metalcore than anything else.

Oct 20, 2013 at 5:16 PM Post #7 of 14
As far as metalcore goes, most people agree that Botch's We Are The Romans is one of the cornerstones of the genre.  I'm not much for the genre, but that recording is stellar.  It's an ideal blend between complex musicianship and raw, abrasive heavy metal, with just a hint of groove to it.  Even metalcore stalwarts Converge bore the hell out of me, as they are abrasive for its own sake, at least to me, and Dillinger Escape Plan too wanky.

Oct 24, 2013 at 5:52 AM Post #8 of 14
Not metalcore/deathcore but Dark Tranquillity's The Gallery sounds pretty good to me.

Feb 16, 2014 at 6:22 PM Post #9 of 14
i just recently got into the band Thy Art Is Murder. For my money they're the best deathcore band around, since the breakdowns are flavoring and not the whole meal with them. They have a truly meanacing sound.

Feb 20, 2014 at 10:52 AM Post #10 of 14
Do you know At the Drive-In? Relationship of Command is the essential post-hardcore album and basically the pinnacle of the genre (subgenre, whatever). That band split and turned into Sparta (first album is great, the rest not so much) and The Mars Volta (fantastic, amazing band). Alexisonfire, Poison the Well I also like.

I'm not into a lot of deathcore/metalcore stuff but I do like The Red Chord. I have also heard The Contortionist put in the deathcore category but their latest album (Intrinsic) sounded more atmospheric/progressive to me. Still worth checking out, it's a great album. If you like Parallax-era BTBAM you will like them as well. The Ocean might fall somewhat into the deathcore category, but they are so experimental to the point of being genre-less. Still their heavier moments are definitely rooted into the deathcore sound.

I still enjoy the first four Killswitch Engage albums as well, but they started going downhill after Alive or Just Breathing IMO. Misery Signals and The Dillinger Escape Plan might fall into this category as well although they both went the math/grind route and Dillinger is just so damn weird it's hard to say what they are. Darkest Hour, The Devil Wears Prada might strike you as well.

Dark Tranquillity as someone mentioned above is quite good, not quite fitting into any of the styles you mentioned but they are melodic and have a progressive bent. If you like BTBAM you will probably enjoy DT as well. IMO start with Haven and Damage Done for them. Scar Symmetry (particularly their first two albums) are good too, melodic death/tech metal with some serious dynamics.

The post-metal bands (Isis, Pelican, Russian Circles, etc) probably deserve a mention too. Isis in particular remained fairly true to the post-hardcore roots until they broke up, the others stretch out a little more into the post-rock/shoegaze scene, although Pelican seems to have returned back to a more hard-driving sound judging from their latest two releases.

Feb 20, 2014 at 9:26 PM Post #11 of 14
The Body is a favorite of mine right now. All The Waters of the Earth turn to Blood is amazing, as is last years ep, Master, We Perish. Sludge metal maybe? But soo heavy and the SQ and production is pretty great for this type of music.

Jul 8, 2014 at 2:44 PM Post #13 of 14
Silverstein - Discovering The Waterfront
Alexisonfire - Crisis
Underoath - The Changing of Times
August Burns Red - Messengers
Caliban - I Am Nemesis
Miss May I - Monument
Our Last Night - Age of Ignorance
There's a few I like

Jul 8, 2014 at 2:52 PM Post #14 of 14
Guys, there is a 15000 post metal page: http://www.head-fi.org/t/397407/lets-talk-metal/15090#post_10694003

Users who are viewing this thread

Back