Best metal album of 2010?
Mar 23, 2011 at 2:43 PM Post #46 of 67
Black metal is one of the most extreme subgenres of metal and it takes a lot of time and effort to adquire the abillity to understand it and appreciate it. Someone may say that Mayhem's De Miisterys Dom Sathanas sounds very similar to, for example, Emperor's In the Nightside Eclipse, or Darkthrone's Transilvanian Hunger, but I am able to see a lot of differences, they sound completely original and unique to me. If you are not able to appreciate a type of music, don't judge it. I'm sure a lot of people would say that all death metal sounds the same as well, and I am sure that death metal listeners would feel offended after hearing that comment. Yes, you can define Black Metal as "super fast blast beats, with crazy tremolo picked guitars and high pitched wailing", but that is being disrispectfull to a kind of music that is too complex for your actual understanding;and  I, as a Black Metal listener, feel offended. Black Metal is much more than that. If you don't like it you can do two things: keep trying or leave it alone.

If a musical genre exists, it is because someone likes it. Please, before making this type of comments, ask yourself: Would I like to hear that about the music that I like? You can still express your opinion, but in a less aggresive way.

I am sorry if I have been a bit harsh, I do not intend to offend anyone. I just didn't expect this type of comments from metalheads.

Mar 23, 2011 at 3:52 PM Post #47 of 67
Black metal is one of the most extreme subgenres of metal and it takes a lot of time and effort to adquire the abillity to understand it and appreciate it. Someone may say that Mayhem's De Miisterys Dom Sathanas sounds very similar to, for example, Emperor's In the Nightside Eclipse, or Darkthrone's Transilvanian Hunger, but I am able to see a lot of differences, they sound completely original and unique to me. If you are not able to appreciate a type of music, don't judge it. I'm sure a lot of people would say that all death metal sounds the same as well, and I am sure that death metal listeners would feel offended after hearing that comment. Yes, you can define Black Metal as "super fast blast beats, with crazy tremolo picked guitars and high pitched wailing", but that is being disrispectfull to a kind of music that is too complex for your actual understanding;and  I, as a Black Metal listener, feel offended. Black Metal is much more than that. If you don't like it you can do two things: keep trying or leave it alone.

If a musical genre exists, it is because someone likes it. Please, before making this type of comments, ask yourself: Would I like to hear that about the music that I like? You can still express your opinion, but in a less aggresive way.

I am sorry if I have been a bit harsh, I do not intend to offend anyone. I just didn't expect this type of comments from metalheads.

Thank you, couldn't have said it better myself. Black metal is one of those things where its just too extreme ad so many people find it hard to understand and listen to. Its just one of those things. I find it to be an aquired taste. It's one of the few things i will sit down and listen to an entire album and take it all in and appreciate every subtle layer of its complexity.

Mar 23, 2011 at 6:32 PM Post #48 of 67
I know and dislike every band you just listed. I doubt if I want on a rant of my favorite tunes you'd have no idea of any of em'.

Old school black/death metal is good

Mar 24, 2011 at 12:58 AM Post #49 of 67
Whoa, whoa, whoa hey whoa, guys, stop the hate. I know we listen to angry music but please stop hating on each other's music tastes. They different and you don't agree, accept that. It's very difficult to view this hobby objectively so let's calm down and get back to the best (or our favorite) metal album of 2010. 

Mar 24, 2011 at 5:55 AM Post #50 of 67
jeez people, who'd have thought talking a bit of smack about my least favorite of the metal genre's would have sparked such debate...i dont hate all black metal, becuase the black metal i do like, i pretty much adore, like Wormword and Lawless Darkness.

though ill also go out on a limb and say that most technical death metal is more extreme than most black metal, just check out bands like Hour of Penance and Fleshgod Apocalypse. though i prefer to split tech death into two genre's, where i consider bands like Hour of Penance, Fleshgod Apocalypse and First Fragment to be Brutal Technical Death Metal. then you've got tech death like Origin and Gorod, which i typically prefer.

let the discussion continue!!

Mar 24, 2011 at 12:29 PM Post #51 of 67
I am calm brah. There is a difference between discussion and argument. We are having a discussion

Mar 24, 2011 at 5:37 PM Post #53 of 67

Quote:
I know and dislike every band you just listed. I doubt if I want on a rant of my favorite tunes you'd have no idea of any of em'.

Old school black/death metal is good

One moment please. First of all, to who is this directed? I assume it isn't to me, as in my previous post I have only mentioned "old school black metal" bands. So I suppose you  are talking to yepimonfire? Please be a little bit more specific If you are going to attack someone. 

Secondly, what is your point? With  that post you're basically saying "your music is crap and you don't know nothing about real music like mine". Isn't it a bit childish?. Come on guys, I started this thread in order to list the best metal albums of 2010 and it is turning to a list of insults towards metal. Melvins, you have the right to say what kind of music you like or dislike, but please, be respectful towards the other people's opinion. What makes you think that your music is better than the other peoples'? Please, try to calm down or I'll have to ask you to leave this thread. You know you can say things in a more respectful manner.

Please, don't take this as an offence.

Mar 24, 2011 at 5:43 PM Post #54 of 67

Quote:
jeez people, who'd have thought talking a bit of smack about my least favorite of the metal genre's would have sparked such debate...i dont hate all black metal, becuase the black metal i do like, i pretty much adore, like Wormword and Lawless Darkness.

though ill also go out on a limb and say that most technical death metal is more extreme than most black metal, just check out bands like Hour of Penance and Fleshgod Apocalypse. though i prefer to split tech death into two genre's, where i consider bands like Hour of Penance, Fleshgod Apocalypse and First Fragment to be Brutal Technical Death Metal. then you've got tech death like Origin and Gorod, which i typically prefer.

let the discussion continue!!

I apologyze if I have offended you, SoupRKnowva, it was not my intention. My post wasn't directed to you personally.

Mar 24, 2011 at 8:07 PM Post #55 of 67

Quote:
I apologyze if I have offended you, SoupRKnowva, it was not my intention. My post wasn't directed to you personally.

its all good dude, i didnt mean to offend anyone, i was mainly joking when i started all this with my less than stellar description of black metal. and im assuming no one really meant to offend me. its all in good fun. i enjoy checking out all the bands mentioned in here. Last year was the same way, throughout the year(09 in this case) i didnt really think it was all that great for metal, but then up through about march of 2010, i kept discovering all these sweet metal bands that released cd's in 09 that i hadnt learned about during the year. this jan-march is turning out the same year, to think that i thought it was a mediocre year in metal...though i still say Allegaeon's cd was the best, im finding alot more standouts.

Mar 24, 2011 at 8:15 PM Post #56 of 67
I don't even see how what I said was offensive. I'm sorry I hurt feelings

Mar 26, 2011 at 11:11 AM Post #57 of 67
Let's continue with the thread's purpose, please. Here is another release that I consider worths cheking out:

This is Exit Sun (Pt. 1) by Shining. Their album Blackjazz is extremely original: they mix jazz with black metal. You will probably notice a few rip offs (muse, messugah, etc.) but it sounds very different to anything that I've heard before. Beware that it will seem very strange at first (maybe the word would be "mad"?), it is an adquired taste.

What do you think?

Mar 26, 2011 at 2:08 PM Post #58 of 67
Time to correct this thread with some real music and not some semantical argument and crying about hurt feelings. There was way too much good metal released last year to not share it.  

1. Agalloch- Marrow of the Spirit. Obviously.

2. Holy Grail- Crisis in Utopia 

3. The Ocean- Heliocentric/Anthropocentric

4. Alcest-Écailles de lune

5. Enslaved- Axioma Ethica Odini

6. October Falls- A Collapse of Faith

7. Kvelertak- Self Titled

8. Blind Guardian- At The Edge of Time

9. Son of Aurelius- The Farthest Reaches

10. Daath- Self Titled

Runners up:
Immolation- Majesty and Decay

In Mourning- Monolith

Demiurg- Slakthus Gamleby

Kings Destroy- And the Rest Will Surely Perish

Castevet- Mounds of Ash

Mar 26, 2011 at 6:05 PM Post #60 of 67
THAT is the type of post that I was looking for when I started this thread. Thank you, JudoJeff. There are a few that I haven't heard of yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back