Best metal album of 2010?
Mar 19, 2011 at 9:23 PM Post #31 of 67

Quote:
     Quote:
Yes, I have been reading a lot of positive reviews of Snakes for the Divine, but I haven't given it a listen yet, as I am not much into Power Metal.

I didn't know that Electric Wizard had a new album out. I only have Dopethrone by them, and I love it. Is Black Masses on par with it?

I suppose I'll also check out new Darkthrone sometime soon.

I wouldn't have called SftD a power metal album, but I can see why it may be called that, its more "stoner" like Electric Wizard, but faster. The new EW is nothing like Dopethrone but it is a change for the good, as much as I like Dopethrone I like Black Masses better. You proboly already know this, but Darkthrone is no longer black metal, they are more punk now, so make sure to listen to some samples before picking up their new album, many old school fans hate it.

Mar 20, 2011 at 5:01 AM Post #32 of 67

Quote:
3 Albums I'm surprised weren't mentioned:
Dillinger Escape Plan's Option Paralysis
Deftones's Diamond Eyes
And Enslaved's Axioma Ethica Odini

I also thought the Long Procession by Amia Venera landscape was pretty good as well. 
Oh yeah, Rosetta's a Determinism of morality was really good.

My favorite was Option Paralysis (not sure if it's considered metal, I'll let it slide if you guys do), and it looks like I have a lot of runner-ups :D

Edit:
@rehabitat, sorry Chrome on my mac is being difficult and didn't load the video so i didn't notice it was. I agree completely and Billy did a great job on that album. I really hope nothing bad happens to any of them because I want to see what happens when they have the same line up for two releases.

Oops, how inconsiderate of me.  I should have typed the info and have edited my post accordingly.

Ha, here's to hoping those maniacs all survive the current tour 
beerchug.gif

Mar 20, 2011 at 7:28 AM Post #33 of 67

Quote:

I wouldn't have called SftD a power metal album, but I can see why it may be called that, its more "stoner" like Electric Wizard, but faster. The new EW is nothing like Dopethrone but it is a change for the good, as much as I like Dopethrone I like Black Masses better. You proboly already know this, but Darkthrone is no longer black metal, they are more punk now, so make sure to listen to some samples before picking up their new album, many old school fans hate it.

Sorry, It was a mistake. I don't consider them Power Metal at all.

Better than Dopethrone? I shall pick it up then.

Don't worry about Darkthrone, youtube makes living easier.
wink.gif

Mar 20, 2011 at 7:11 PM Post #34 of 67

Quote:
Sorry, It was a mistake. I don't consider them Power Metal at all.

Better than Dopethrone? I shall pick it up then.

Don't worry about Darkthrone, youtube makes living easier.
wink.gif

No need to apologize, I do hear a bit of power in there, and enjoy the EW album, there are some others for you to check out, they have made 4 or 5 since Dopethrone including Black Masses.

Mar 21, 2011 at 5:36 AM Post #35 of 67
Buds By Dopefight.

Mar 22, 2011 at 1:39 PM Post #37 of 67

Mar 22, 2011 at 3:53 PM Post #38 of 67
Very nice doom, prog and black metal bands guys. I like to see so much variety around here.

Mar 22, 2011 at 6:35 PM Post #39 of 67
and sludge mate

Mar 22, 2011 at 7:26 PM Post #41 of 67

Quote:
just found Istapp the other day by going through quite a few pages on the AngryMetalGuy blog, he really liked it as well, so i checked it out, and its pretty awesome. I can finally add another Black Metal album to the very short list of ones i like.

what is it exactly you don't like about most black metal? black metal is its own genre of metal and rarely ever does it sound even remotely the same across all bands, black metal is more about the atmosphere it invokes rather then having a specific sound. im sure i can add a bunch more bands to that list of yours
wink.gif

Mar 22, 2011 at 7:40 PM Post #42 of 67

Quote:

what is it exactly you don't like about most black metal? black metal is its own genre of metal and rarely ever does it sound even remotely the same across all bands, black metal is more about the atmosphere it invokes rather then having a specific sound. im sure i can add a bunch more bands to that list of yours
wink.gif

i couldnt really tell you, so far the only black metal i like is Wormwood by Marduk, Lawless Darkness by Watain and now that Istapp cd. I also like some blackened death like Behemoth's newest Evangelion, and i just discovered Belphegor's newest Black Magick Necromance. but beyond that i havent liked much straight black metal. a couple other bands i guess are black metal influenced, like Cormorant.

Mar 22, 2011 at 7:59 PM Post #43 of 67

Quote:

wink.gif

Dude are you serious? 90% of all black metal sounds the same.

Mar 22, 2011 at 9:18 PM Post #44 of 67

Quote:
Dude are you serious? 90% of all black metal sounds the same.

hahaha....i wasnt gonna say so, but i agree, super fast blast beats, with crazy tremolo picked guitars and high pitched wailing is pretty much most black metal....thats why i like Lawless Darkness so much! its awesome cause it's like actual music

Mar 22, 2011 at 11:40 PM Post #45 of 67
ORLY? Dimmu Borgir rarely incorporates anything you just spoke of all the time, thats just one example. Dark Fortress, Fearscape, Immortal, Keep of Kalessin, Lunar Aurora, Horn, none of those bands have anything remotely in common with eachother. Expand your horizons, there is a lot of crappy copycat black metal. Ever heard a band that sounds like Satyricon? No? Well that's because they don't exist, ever heard a band that sounds like Immortal? No? Same response as before.... Black Metal is very original and always changing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back