Best media players and must-have features
Jun 26, 2008 at 6:04 PM Post #31 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by variable114 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just popping this question in...

foobar2000 freezes on me regularly, as in after a song or two. it will just keep playing about 1 second of the song on loop and I have to restart the program. needless to say I rarely use it and I know it's hard to give specific diagnosis on such a thing but does anyone have any ideas? it sucks having to use itunes when I don't want to.

Have you tried to competely remove the program and all associated files/folders, and re-install? That might help. Could also be some driver issue. Check the output settings in the preferences. Hard to diagnose.

Jun 26, 2008 at 7:09 PM Post #32 of 36
foobar 0.9.5.3 is great. 18 band eq, asio support, great minimalistic looks with beat-visualizations, simple music organization with plenty of options, simple to use and effective search feature, several useful DSPs (crossfeed etc) and not to mention blistering fast response and startup because it's so light.

Jun 26, 2008 at 10:08 PM Post #33 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by [L]es /img/forum/go_quote.gif
back when i was on windows..

xmplay - great sound quality, i'd rather not touch the options aside from output, in vista wasapi plugin was king (at least for me)

That's all I use now. Not very feature rich but very low on resources and sounds good.

Best feature rich free media player is MediaMonkey but is a bit buggy. Would crash on me on occasion.

Jun 26, 2008 at 10:30 PM Post #34 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ham Sandwich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When did you try Media Jukebox? J River did a significant update to Media Jukebox at the beginning of the year. The free Media Jukebox is now just like their current Media Center program minus the media center features, photo features, and video features.

yajh i think ive had it since then i just found it damn awkward and foobar just couldnt customise it

Jun 27, 2008 at 12:55 AM Post #35 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by thomaspf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do they now offer playback over ASIO as part of the Jukebox?

Cheers

Thomas

I believe so.
I have used ASIO with the current version of Media Jukebox. But I have only used Media Jukebox on a computer that also has a licensed copy of Media Center so I'm not sure if the ASIO support is a byproduct of having the licensed Media Center installed along side or not.

You can try Media Jukebox. It will likely give you ASIO. I'm just not willing to state that with 100% certainty.

Jun 28, 2008 at 8:58 AM Post #36 of 36
From my experience of personal use and helping my brother and my Dad with their music library, itunes is a nightmare of a program.

The standard ripping settings seem to be 128kbps, at least when my Dad ripped his entire collection of cds it was...

The worst thing about it, is that it assumes the user has no clue how to manage their own music, so it makes changes to tags and filenames without you knowing it. It made a horrible mess with my brother's library after we had tagged it ourselves, correctly.

And it's great how updates of itunes install programs that we don't want (ie safari).

Needless to say, my recommendation is to avoid itunes. If you want to purchase music online, there are much better options out there, and DRM-free (AVOID DRM AT ALL COSTS). If you buy an ipod, that does not mean you have to use itunes in order to put music on it, winamp is one of the many other options that you can use to sync music on your ipod. Frankly, I find it much easier to do it with winamp as well. If I want to remove a song from it, I select it, and delete. If I want to put a song or album on it, I simply drag it into the ipod, and drop
biggrin.gif

Anyhow... my 2 cents on itunes.

I use foobar myself to play music; It's been the best player I've tried for years.

However, the developers decided to kill off a bunch of plugins that did a TON to expand foobar's customization options (ie. panelsUI, cwb_hooks among many others) with a recent update to the program. The new interface, while does a lot to improve out-of-box appearnece options, is poor compared to some panelsUI configs out there. Anyhow, it appears Foobar will no longer be the great open-source media player it once was if the devs keep this up. The community is in an uproar about it, and foobar forum admins, are deleting and locking threads, where someone even mentions "panels". Even customization threads with 250+ pages of history. This isn't because people were arguing over it, but they started doing this as soon as the program was updated to break those plugins. It all seems really fishy; their forums are a huge mess atm.

However, I'm still using foobar with an old config, but I might go out and try some other programs again. I've heard a lot of praise for media monkey, and might give that a try. Does it support ASIO (my card is an auzen prelude) and lots of formats like flac?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back