Best media player for Linux
Aug 14, 2017 at 7:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

93EXCivic

100+ Head-Fier
I just got a laptop up and running with Linux (Vector Linux Lite). Does anyone have suggestions of what the best choice is for a media player available for Linux is? This is my first time messing with linux

Aug 16, 2017 at 5:17 PM Post #2 of 11
I just got a laptop up and running with Linux (Vector Linux Lite). Does anyone have suggestions of what the best choice is for a media player available for Linux is? This is my first time messing with linux

I've been in somewhat of a similar position the last few months. I installed Ubuntu 16.04 on my Chromebook via Crouton. I tried a few players and ultimately landed on Clementine as I can listen to my cd collection ripped in 320kbps AAC VBR as well as sync the audio onto my 1st gen iPod Shuffle.

Aug 17, 2017 at 3:22 PM Post #3 of 11
I tried loads of them on Ubuntu and have settled now with Quod Libet which I find really nice. I also tried the free trial of JRiver for Linux and that is a really nice player with huge functionality and I may yet buy a licence for it as its so nice. Foobar is possible to install on Ubuntu but I could never get it to install so I gave up.

Aug 17, 2017 at 7:59 PM Post #4 of 11
I suggest learning some new tricks and trying to do as much from the command line as possible.

SoX is what I prefer, assuming you've ripped everything to WAV or FLAC. Just enter 'man play' at the command prompt and pay particular attention to the section 'Playing and Recording Audio' if you want bit perfect playback and transparent sample rate switching.

Aug 25, 2017 at 11:43 PM Post #6 of 11
Quod Libet and DeadBeef are the two that I like the most. I've used Foobar2000 on Windows for so long, I had to find something that was at least similar looking.

Aug 30, 2017 at 7:52 PM Post #7 of 11
I'm fond of DeaDBeeF, personally...it's easy to configure it to bypass the ALSA & Pulseaudio mixers and use your DAC directly for bitperfect playback. The downside to that, of course, is that nothing else can use the soundcard while you're listening to music (I've had a lot of missed IMs because the noise wouldn't play until I closed DeaDBeeF), but it's a good solution for bitperfect audio in Linux. (And it's easy to set it back to using Pulseaudio for times when you care more about notification sounds than bitperfectness.)

Sep 12, 2017 at 4:01 AM Post #9 of 11
I tries many media players on Linux (Minu 18.2 MATE). I ended with foobar on WINE, beats all Linux players. Cover Art browser, ReplayGain scanner, library with folder monitoring, high customization - f2k FTW

Sep 12, 2017 at 4:03 AM Post #10 of 11
I like XMMS best and have used it for over a decade on both Linux and currently on my FreeBSD boxen. There is a skins port available for it on FreeBSD with hundreds of skins to match any desktop theme.

XMMS is not available on OpenBSD so I use Audacious on that box.

Sep 18, 2017 at 2:50 AM Post #11 of 11
I think it depends a lot on what you want from your music player...

Is convenience and usability the most important?
Do you want advanced searches, library functions?
Do you want something that only needs a split second to start-up, is dead simple, but still plays anything you throw at it (but has no library etc. features?)
Do you have a preference for a user-interface look? Some players are nice but ugly...

I have been where you are a few years ago, and tried many different players. I never settled on a single one... I use several:

- mpd
This is a server. You can control it with your iPhone (use the mPod app for that). You can also control it on the PC with programs like Cantata, which I like a lot.

- QuodLibet
As others have already mentioned, it is very good, especially the library search functions are amazing. If you have a large music collection, this will be your tool of choice. For example, I use the "Style" tag that Discogs uses in their listings, and with QuotLibet you can simply have that custom tag scanned into the library, and listed just like genres. That's pretty damn neat...

- Kodi
Formally XBMC, this is a very slick media player, for music as well as for video. It's great for things like parties, you can have a super-easy to use and slick looking interface to have people choose their music... nice visual effects etc. Also can be installed stand-alone, or with the OpenElec Linux system. The latter is great if you want to make a media PC (e.g. a PC for nothing else than audio/music, with remote control etc.)

- Audacious
I like Audacious because "it just works". Good layout, multiple playlists, advanced audio settings, many plugins. It can also work with JACK, so you can chain it with e.g. an equalizer etc. You can use the free Calf plugins for example, chain it all together... OK, maybe this is a bit over your head at this point, however, possibilities are endless!

- Qmmp
I like this player because it is small, simple, and fast. This is what pops up on my computer if I just want to listen to a single file real quick. It also has an EQ and Visualizations, if you like those kind of things. I think it is supposed to imitate Winamp a bit.

Well, and everything else I have seen I did not like very much... and I have tried most of them. At least all of them mentioned here so far.

One last thing I should mention, if you want to stream music on your new Linux computer, install Google Chrome for Linux (not just "Chrome", you want "Google Chrome", which has flash support etc. built-in), and use Deezer... of course, this is my preference, Tidal, Spotify etc will also work, but I do think that Deezer is one of the better streaming services out there, it had more albums of my interest than any other place, and their interface actually works (Spotify with 100+ albums was simply unusable on my iPhone).

'hope that helped,
DrTebi

Users who are viewing this thread

Back