Best measuring r2r dac?
Nov 14, 2016 at 8:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Head-Fier
I cant find many measurements for r2r dacs, I did find some for the yggdrasil but not much else. Are there any r2r dacs under $4000 that that measure well in distortion eg at-least under -100dB with 2nd, 3rd harmonic distortion?

Nov 14, 2016 at 11:14 PM Post #3 of 7
@Baldr atomicbob has measured: Modi MB, Bifrost MB Gungnir MB, and Yggdrasil.
The thing is with these test is; he does not measure sine waves at 0dB, he *only* does it at -60dB which is rather odd? He does gives THD+N measurements just as a % though. But I cant tell what the 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc harmonics are, nor can I see where the noise floor is from just a percentage. Also from the link in the first post, the yggdrasil being the best measuring of the tested dacs, does not measure sub -100dB. Its ~-92dB which is 2.5x higher than -100dB.

I'm considering between an Auralic Vega which afaik is the best measuring dac in that price range: http://www.stereophile.com/content/auralic-vega-da-processor-measurements#HSUshWT6gjIgSSkK.97
But with the whole r2r being superior to delta sigma because it has does not approximate data etc etc argument (of which I have no idea what party to believe) I am thinking maybe go with a r2r if there is one in that price range which performs reasonably well in terms of distortion.

Edit: Being far more familiar with the field now, calling SD an approximation is in a way true, but in a fairly different way MB DACs (eg above) are far more of an approximation that most SD DACs. Main problem being linearity at low levels.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2016 at 2:02 AM Post #5 of 7
@alvin1118 got any sine wave graphs? eg volume vs frequency graphs?

From just a %, as I somewhat said; you cant tell with the THD+N if the noise relatively high, and the non primary harmonics are low, or the opposite: Noise is low and the harmonics are high. Or anywhere in-between.

Oct 11, 2017 at 1:00 PM Post #6 of 7
Oct 12, 2017 at 7:11 AM Post #7 of 7
Here’s one you should take a look at, Ben does great work. https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2017/10/08/rmaf-2017-more-must-see-rooms/

Ben Zwickel from Mojo audio?
Could not find any measurement?

Had a look on their website.
"Because algorithms can't appreciate music... no pre- or post-digital filtering"

The "Mystique v3 DAC" ($5.5k to $7.5k) uses an AD1862. At a glance its a 20bit MB chip with 0.0016% THD+N @ 0 dB (-96db) with an SNR of 120db and a dynamic range of 102db. That's just the chip, wonder how "Mystique v3 DAC" measures though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back