Best MD player?
May 26, 2007 at 3:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

En_R

100+ Head-Fier
Any recommendations?

I KNOW they will beat DAPs in terms of SQ.
But which hi-MD player has the best sound quality?

Headphone-out and a Line-out recommendation plz
wink.gif

May 26, 2007 at 9:09 AM Post #2 of 26
If you want a new MD unit, there's not much left to choose from - the Sony MZ-RH1. I have some if its predecessors and the SQ of the HD amp is superb. The RH1 may be the last of the line, no official word as of yet. The M200 is the RH1 bundled with a Sony stereo mic.

May 27, 2007 at 4:26 PM Post #3 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Superbaldguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you want a new MD unit, there's not much left to choose from - the Sony MZ-RH1. I have some if its predecessors and the SQ of the HD amp is superb. The RH1 may be the last of the line, no official word as of yet. The M200 is the RH1 bundled with a Sony stereo mic.

the Sony MZ-RH1 is a beauty and I would like to own it!

it's Mac compatible too..

May 28, 2007 at 5:29 AM Post #4 of 26
I have had the sony mz nh900 for a couple of years now. Most mders concider this one to be quite good. It can still be found on the web, but price is actually more than for the latest sony offering.

It has a true line out which is rare....with a headamp the line out beats my new iaudio x5 with its phoney line out. and thats with using atrac 3+ on the sony compared to flac on the iaudio

Has digital and audio lin in

My experiences with the 900 have been quite good, with the following cavats;
- the screen is small and not backlit. need to use the remote for better viewing and remote cant be used to set recording volumn
- headphone out is rather harsh, not near as nice as the x5 amping it does help

I have used it in all sorts of situations and I feel it is a great unit. The only reason I have gone to a HDD based portable player is that the MD discs are starting to stack up...tho not as much as compared to cd. i.e. 8 or 9 cd on one hi md disc at atrac3+ 350kbps

regards
Dan

May 28, 2007 at 8:17 AM Post #5 of 26
Ah - the NH900 was one of the nicer units. One that would have been nice to add to my collection, especially the black one. BTW, where can you still get one, new?

May 28, 2007 at 9:32 PM Post #7 of 26
Sony RH1. IMO, my Cowon D2 sounds on par with the RH1. The RH1 edges out because there's no hiss with my IEMs. But once the music kicks in, I forget about the hiss. I've never heard the Sharp models but have numerous raves about their excellent SQ from the AUVI sound engine that Sharp uses.

May 28, 2007 at 9:34 PM Post #8 of 26
Well, if you have a deck already, might as well go for player only, instead of recorders. Players will have phenomenal battery life (up to 300hours!!!) I have the Sharp DS-77, good ****, thin, elegant.

May 29, 2007 at 4:38 PM Post #10 of 26
I have an RH1. It's dandy, but I don't really use it as a DAP; I'm just not into DAPs. Better than anything else out there for me though, I love filching individual songs directly off friend's ipods (you can do that? 'with a MD you can'), recording my vinyl, radio, gathering incriminating evidence on friends, lectures...

May 30, 2007 at 12:22 AM Post #11 of 26
MZ-EH70 (player only; no recording) is thin, small, has "HD" digital amp and uses a relatively-normal NiMH gumstick battery (unlike the MZ-RH1 which uses an oddball Li-ion). I also have and like the NH-900, which is more chunky than the EH70. I agree that the 900 has a difficult-to-read display, and the EH70 has no display at all. To rectify these problems, use the MC-40ELK remote, which is GREAT (3-line display, nicely backlit)!

Both players sound fantastic. Also, no hiss from my Shure E4c.

Jun 2, 2007 at 12:45 AM Post #13 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by trains are bad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have an RH1. It's dandy, but I don't really use it as a DAP; I'm just not into DAPs. Better than anything else out there for me though, I love filching individual songs directly off friend's ipods (you can do that? 'with a MD you can'), recording my vinyl, radio, gathering incriminating evidence on friends, lectures...

that's what's so cool about portable MD recorders. they are the most versatile portable recorder out there to be had!

Jun 2, 2007 at 8:58 AM Post #14 of 26
MiniDisc has a lot going for it - flexibility, superb SQ, reliable media, a "coolness" factor that most DAP's lack, and you can trade discs. These are some of the reasons why I plan on selling my iPod as Apple's wondertoy just is a dullard.

Jun 2, 2007 at 9:34 AM Post #15 of 26
I can vouch for the nh900 and also the player unit EH-1, both of which have great SQ, gapless playback with no background hiss even when using sensitive iems. Unfortunately I don't really use mine much since I almost exclusively use the 2G nano (it does gapless as well).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back