best material for my tastes?
Mar 4, 2006 at 1:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

coolshot

500+ Head-Fier
im looking for rca interconnects that will help add bass as well as clean it up. I also love instrument seperation and lots of detail but i dont like harsh highs, just pleasant revealing ones.Im a fan of stuff that helps bring the vocals foward too
icon10.gif
What kinda cables should i be looking for? ones that are copper or silver?

PS i hate hate hate ssssssiblence. The less the better.

Mar 4, 2006 at 2:32 PM Post #2 of 3
It depends.
I recently made almost the same cable with copper and silver (braided, teflon isolated, bullet plugs).
In my experience, silver sounds cleaner, makes the bass sound better defined, and the treble is more extended then copper, that has a little grain and rolloff in the treble and some artificial midbass warmth.
However, if you have any treble pollution, like many CDplayers and solidstate amps give, you might find the silver exposes this weakness far more, which is why silver is sometimes falsely accused of being sibilant.
In that case copper is the better choice.
Don't go for silverplated copper, it often sounds too bright to my ears.
Of course there are more sounddetermining factors then material, think about the plugs, configuration, the isolationmaterial etc.

Mar 4, 2006 at 10:04 PM Post #3 of 3
I also made "twin" cables with good Cardas Cu and Cardas' silver; rather than braided, I used one strand of Cardas teflon insulated "Litz" (21.5 ga??) copper each way, and on the other cable, one strand of 23 ga bare silver insulated with 22 ga Teflon tubing; wound teflon tubing around the strands and stuffed into 4ga. teflon tubing. I used Vampire 800C RCA plugs. My results were the same as Dura's. I also made a cable pair with 5 strands of 23 ga. silver, and preferred the single strand.

I have not tried Cardas Rhodium, Eichmann Bullets, nor WBT NextGen, RCA's, all of which I am curious about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back