best matching amp for sr225s on budget
Aug 30, 2006 at 6:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

fonesgonewild

New Head-Fier
Hi,
Maybe this has been asked before, but what would be the best matching amp for the sr225s? Sadly I'm on a budget, and it'll be nice if it can stay under $100. Although sr225s have great details, I feel a little hungry on the bass department.

Thanks in advance.

Aug 31, 2006 at 12:06 AM Post #2 of 11
The search function will turn up a lot of good reading material on this. In the ongoing Go-Vibe 5 thread, sbulack raves about the v5/sr225 combo. Also, a lot of people here like the synergy of the PA2V2 with the 225.

Aug 31, 2006 at 1:06 AM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by dkjohnso
a lot of people here like the synergy of the PA2V2 with the 225.

I have to agree, they work really well together.

Aug 31, 2006 at 1:46 AM Post #6 of 11
The suggested pad change and tape mod will do what you want: more bass. However, I think they both have their downsides. I thought the soundstage of the 225s was worse with flats, and overall sound was just a little congested sounding. And the tape improves the quantity of bass while sacrificing quality, IMO: the bass and upper midrange seemed to lose clarity. The PA2V2 might be a better option, since it is a bassy amp.

Aug 31, 2006 at 9:43 AM Post #8 of 11
Not sure what price they're going for these days but a 2nd hand Perreaux SXH1 is worth considering, they work well with the 225s.

Aug 31, 2006 at 1:47 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by fonesgonewild
Sounds like PA2V2 is the winner. Where can I get this amp?
I read some grado owners talk about the c-pads. I wonder which pads will help to give more bass.

IME, solely focusing on bass, flat pads >C-Pad Zeta Flat Ports (all ports open)>>bowls. There is a loss of soundstage with flat pads but with C-Pads there is actually an increase of soundstage compared to the bowls while improving the bass. Also with C-Pads you have the ability to plug/unplug the ports to tailor the bass to your liking. I haven't experimented with it much though as I find the sound with all ports open to be perfect to my taste.

For me the C-Pads keep a lot of the strengths of the flats and bowls without a lot of the weaknesses (better soundstage/aireness than flats, less fatiguing highs than bowls, etc.) and significantly improve comfort.

Ant

Aug 31, 2006 at 7:25 PM Post #11 of 11
C-Pad Zeta Flat Ports... did you mean the Z-G SR Black(if I go black) or the Z-G SR Black Port? They say something about the pegs(?) being not included. Kind of confusing.
mad.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back