Best Matches with e17/e9k combo?
Jul 11, 2013 at 2:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

untouchablemike

New Head-Fier
Hello all.

I currently have several common audio chains that I use around my house.  My main one is 320mp3(or flac)->Xonar D1->S/PDIF
->FiiO E17->Denon D2000.  The other is PS3->Toslink->E17->Denon D2000.

I was wondering what some good possibilities would be in terms of a headphone upgrade once I get an E09K to pair with my E17.  I understand options like the HD598 and D2000 are considered "mid-fi" and I am really looking to get the best bang for my buck with this setup (I am not inherently opposed to the HD598, by the way,  I am just looking to increase overall SQ).  I really love playing games (I have read every page of Mad Lust Envy's guide, and he highly recommends the HD598 for gaming), and have really enjoyed the D2000 with dolby headphone from the D1.  I also highly enjoy movies, although I do not have any sort of DSP to provide Dolby Headphone through my PS3 (which I am fine with, I mostly PC game - the PS3 is primarily for blu-rays).

I really have come to appreciate the D2000s soundstage for it being a (semi) closed can, but would really enjoy something with an even wider one, although if something were to have a huge SQ increase while matching the D2000 in terms of soundstage, I would be fine with that.

Music-wise, I listen to Hip-Hop, Electronica (Daft Punk, Pendulum, some Dubstep/Brostep), Prog Rock/Metal (Dream Theater, Rush, Stratovarius), Classic Rock, Blues, Punk.

Help me out!  While price is not really an issue (I would be willing to save for however long I needed to), considering the budget limits of my amplification setup, I am not really looking to explore into flagship territory at this point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back