Best Matched Amp for HD650?
Mar 2, 2009 at 7:15 PM Post #16 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by theScribe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
man, even if I had $2,200... I'm not sure I wanna spend it on an amp like that. I can get an HD800 and a good amp for that money.

And the ZD with the HD800s may well be the current pinnacle of dynamic performance. Time will tell. But for the 650s, it is folly to dismiss the ZD without hearing it. Many have and are saving to have this amp in their system. Hearing it motivates cynics in different ways. The value of the experience is weighed by each to their willingness to sacrifice. For $300, there will be another need to sacrifice, just not financial.

Mar 3, 2009 at 2:58 AM Post #17 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by theScribe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... What kind of amps are you HD650 users loving? Any recommendations? Any particular amp matches made in heaven with the 650? Thanks.
smily_headphones1.gif

-JC

This HD650 user finds its match with the Purity Audio KICAS Caliente to be made in headphone heaven.

Mar 3, 2009 at 12:57 PM Post #18 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by HighLife /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had a loaner EF1 that Fang sent me to audition. I wasnt able to get any extra tubes for it, but it seems that it didnt really push my 650s well. I mean, it wasnt bad...but i felt that the DV336i gave the 650s more power, along with more bass.

The EF1 is a great amp, dont get me wrong...my grados really sang with the EF1...however, for the 650s, i would look elsewhere.

For 300$, i would actually just save some more and go for something alittle better. In the 300$ range you really not going to find anything thats great with the 650s. Its said that the HD600 will scale better with lower end or midrange systems....and the 650s dont really shine till you get into the higher end range of amps/sources.

Just my opinion.

Thanks for your comments High-Life. Did your EF1 have the RCA cleartop 12au7 tubes when you tried it, or the stock Chinese tube?

Mar 3, 2009 at 5:49 PM Post #19 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by musicmind /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for your comments High-Life. Did your EF1 have the RCA cleartop 12au7 tubes when you tried it, or the stock Chinese tube?

Fang sent me a clear top RCA a few weeks after the amp, was a difference, but wasnt a HUGE difference. To me the EF1 just didnt push the 650s to their full potential.

Mar 3, 2009 at 5:49 PM Post #20 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the price went up to $350, but the Gilmore Lite is terrific with the HD-650. However, the best I've heard is the Zana Deux. It makes the HD-650 sound nearly electrostatic.

I use the Gilmore Lite and have no complaints. Though I have not heard any other headphones amps with the hd650s, I am very happy with this combination.

Mar 4, 2009 at 7:42 PM Post #23 of 29
Instead of starting my own thread, I'll just ask my questions here.

I just received the HD650, and the Total AirHead is horrendously underpowered for it, given that the HD650 right now sounds almost as bright, thin, and bass-less as the K701. I was looking for a warm headphone, and I think that the HD650 will be it with the right power and amp sound signature.

So, I'm looking into tube amps below $600 (not incl. shipping), new. I prefer warmth over obvious treble and upper midrange presence. I am currently looking at the WoovAudio 3+ and 6. What are the reasons for me to go for the 6 over the 3+? As for power cable, that is the same as what is used with computer PSUs, right?

edited to add: I was looking into the Caliente, but will that really give me the warmth I'm looking for?

edit 2: I've narrowed it down to the 3 or 3+. Is the 3+ worse for high-impedance headphones?

edit 3: I've decided to go the extra $100 and get the Woo Audio 6, instead, so ignore edit 2 and its question.

Mar 23, 2009 at 8:31 PM Post #24 of 29
RSA-Raptor is one of the best match for HD 650. But it costs around $1200. If your budget is only ~$300, then Gilmore Lite is the closest best amp I would suggest.

Mar 23, 2009 at 10:26 PM Post #26 of 29
Might want to look into an M^3. There's one in the FS section for $350. Not sure who the builder is but it looks good from the pics.

Mar 24, 2009 at 4:49 PM Post #27 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Murugesh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
RSA-Raptor is one of the best match for HD 650. But it costs around $1200. If your budget is only ~$300, then Gilmore Lite is the closest best amp I would suggest.

Yea, I am really wanting the Raptor, but I feel that if I can't save up the money then I will end up getting the woo 6. One thing is for sure the HD 650 scales very will with what ever amp you are using. When I play video games I like to use my zero to get some great detail which makes things very easy to hear.

May 5, 2009 at 12:47 AM Post #28 of 29
Just got myself some 600s, and I decided to power them that I'd build myself a PPAv2 (cut my teeth on a couple CMoys). I spent my free time for a good couple days setting up the purchase order, and saved it, so if anybody would like to work off of my order, PM me!

Can't wait to get the amp up and running! Going to be a great summertime project.

May 5, 2009 at 12:53 AM Post #29 of 29
Raptor + 650 + Siemens E82CC or 5814A + a pair of RCA black or bronze 5687's = magic. I listen to music I have not wanted to hear in decades and I just let foobar run on and on and on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back