best low volume listenning Phones
Jul 21, 2005 at 3:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

goorackerelite

100+ Head-Fier
Hi I'm looking for a pair of headphones that sound really open, spacious, and tight sounding at a volume of 2 on a scale of 10. I'd like the phones to resolve as much detail as possible (but not shrill), and the bass to sound a tad bit more than neutral but not bloated. On top of that I'm looking for an amp that can do the sound justice when listening to such low levels. right now I'm using a pair of hd595s and I find that they fit the bill xept for the bass impact at the low listening levels.... would the beyer dt880's fit the bill?

Jul 21, 2005 at 3:55 AM Post #2 of 5
I just got a refubished Koss ESP/950 electrostatic headphone through Amazon for approx. $360. It provides a nice full sound at low levels, and IMO is an exceptionally good buy for a headphone/amp combo at this price.

Jul 21, 2005 at 4:42 AM Post #3 of 5
my a700 fits that description perfectly for me. i tend to listen at a much lower volume with those than any other of my cans. i think their slightly pronounced highs and lows just give it the right amount of inherent "loudness" effect thats perfect for lower volume listening. as opposed to my grados, which just begs to be cranked.

Jul 21, 2005 at 6:04 AM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by eight08
my a700 fits that description perfectly for me. i tend to listen at a much lower volume with those than any other of my cans. i think their slightly pronounced highs and lows just give it the right amount of inherent "loudness" effect thats perfect for lower volume listening. as opposed to my grados, which just begs to be cranked.

I would say very much the same thing about the Senn HD590, but it's an open design. I haven't heard the A700 but eight08 used great terminology - "inherent 'loudness'". The 590's seem very much like they'd have that sort of smile-shaped frequency response chart.

EDIT: I will say though that the treble on the 590's can be harsh sometimes, but eq'ing it down doesn't created weirdo sound anomolies.

Jul 21, 2005 at 6:52 AM Post #5 of 5
the k501 is my favorite at night when unwinding in bed at low volume. I think a sweet spot blooms when horizontal with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back