Best Lossy Format?
Sep 30, 2009 at 11:43 PM Post #46 of 57
Excessive dynamic range compression isn't too hard to detect as long as you know what to listen for. It's quite obvious in some cases (the last few Red Hot Chili Peppers albums... stuff like that is going to sound bad no matter what bitrate or format you use). Now if you're comparing a remaster of a classic rock album to the original, that sort of comparison can get difficult. But that would most likely be slight compression. You would also have to listen for noise reduction, EQ choices, etc. If you want to learn about this sort of stuff, check out the Steve Hoffman forums. There's guys over there with $10,000+ systems (some of those guys hate headphones) that say they can tell the difference between a CD and a CD-R copy of it burned at 10x with EAC. Not sure if that's as much audiophile as it is OCD...

You should still try OGG Vorbis and do some tests with it. Try some VBR files too if you haven't already. VBR files might end up sounding better than CBR files.

Oct 1, 2009 at 4:06 PM Post #47 of 57
I do use VBR, I'm curious about ogg, but I currently use ipod and even if i get another type of player in the future it likely won't support ogg.

I am curious enough to try it on an album or two though.

What's a good program for ripping to vorbis?

Oct 1, 2009 at 5:35 PM Post #50 of 57
Oct 2, 2009 at 1:31 AM Post #51 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what if you don't use windows? im a MAX user, but are there great apps which i can build from source, or OSX alternatives other than MAX?

Then google it.
biggrin.gif

Oct 3, 2009 at 12:09 AM Post #53 of 57
Wavpack/.MPC is by far the best sounding lossy codec. Unfortunately it is not widely supported, and few if any portables support it.

I encode my full quality source audio first as FLAC for my archive, then transcode that to OGG -q7 for use on portable players.

If a player does not support at least ogg, and ogg and flac preferred, I wont even consider it.

Not that MP3's at -alt-preset-standard or -alt-preset-extreme sound bad, but ogg is better.

Oct 3, 2009 at 8:35 AM Post #54 of 57
I guess "best" refer to a lot of aspects:
* Sound quality (sound vs. size ratio).
* Hardware and software support.
* Encoder/decoder licensing and availability. Open or closed source, restrictive licensing, fees, ...
* Features.
* More?

So without defining which part is more important the results will certainly vary.
smile.gif

Oct 3, 2009 at 8:43 AM Post #55 of 57
To date, based on the features in most of DAPs, the MP3 (vbr) is the best choice, for now, IMHO.

Aug 10, 2014 at 8:50 AM Post #56 of 57
Vorbis or AAC.  I can't understand why someone would choose MP3 over these two other than for compatibility's sake.  Vorbis and AAC both require less bitrate to produce equal sound quality.  

Aug 10, 2014 at 10:04 AM Post #57 of 57
BTW, there is an open public listening test 

MP3, AAC/MP4, Ogg Vorbis, Opus.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/728636/public-listening-test-of-codecs-mp3-aac-mp4-ogg-vorbis-and-opus
Everybody is welcome to participate   
happy_face1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back