Best lossless player at this moment?
Aug 29, 2009 at 10:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

1975DCS

New Head-Fier
Well the title says it all... What is the best lossless player at this moment? WAV, FLAC or ALAC, it doesn't matter, but it should have 160 GB and sounds as good as possible (with my Sennheiser HD-595).

iPod Classic 160 GB = not available anymore
iPod Classic 120 GB = too small
iPod Gen 5 with 240 GB upgrade = could be nice, some say it is better than classic)
iAudio X5 60 GB = too small, but good sounding, not available anymore
Archos 7 320 GB = expensive, massive capacity and finally FLAC, but sound?

Anybody?

Aug 29, 2009 at 9:40 PM Post #3 of 30
I recently purchased the Sennheiser HD 600's, and have been testing them on my various DAP's. So far, the best sounding player for them is my Gigabeat F. I am using my MiniBox E+ amp, but even with the FiiO E5 the sound is pretty darn good, imo.

My Gigabeat F player has been modded to take a 120GB HDD, and is running Rockbox with specific EQ settings that really do make a difference in the sound quality. There is a 240GB 1.8 inch drive in existence, but I honestly don't know if Rockbox supports that yet.

As for the iPods, I've read here that a LOD is your best bet for good SQ. Whether of not it's better than my Gigabeat setup, I don't know.

Aug 29, 2009 at 10:59 PM Post #4 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by roebeet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As for the iPods, I've read here that a LOD is your best bet for good SQ. Whether of not it's better than my Gigabeat setup, I don't know.

iPod headphone outs are very lacking. The LOD makes a HUGE difference with my 4th gen iPod. With the LOD it sounds alot like my 120GB Zune but with more bass. The Zune sounds slightly better (a tiny bit more clarity), but since the iPod has Rockbox on it, I use it way more now.

Aug 29, 2009 at 11:00 PM Post #5 of 30
Absolute best? 2 choices only: imod+optional Vcap doc+portable amp of approx $300 value (I have this without the Vcaps to drive my senns HD580. Mine is *only* 80gb, but like you say 240GB is proven to work if needed)

Or... iriver 120/140+optical into D10 DAC amp. Iriver only runs drives up to 120gb afaik

Aug 30, 2009 at 7:24 AM Post #9 of 30
You should be able to pick up a used zune 80gb for pretty cheap now and throw in a 500gb drive. If you don't mind ripping one apart of course.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 30, 2009 at 7:40 AM Post #11 of 30
Hi thanks everyone for their replies!

In a summary you "need" the line out of an ipod and use a separate amp. Or you are better of buying a Zune or iAudio and swap the HDD? Anyone using an Archos at this moment? An all in one package is preferred, otherwise I can just use my Toshiba laptop at home (which is 95% of the usage). Reason I want a big MP3 player is that I don't want to have a separate copy for all my music in lower quality, just to fit a small MP3 player, nor do I want to choose songs manually... Currently the collection is 130 GB... It is difficult to choose as it means use either ALAC or FLAC...

Greetz,
Daniël

Aug 30, 2009 at 9:01 AM Post #12 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The amp3 cannot be had in sizeable memory capacities. sure, if you want to invest in hundreds of dollars of SD cards... but it supports WMA, MP3 and WAV - quite limited.

It plays FLAC.

Aug 30, 2009 at 10:07 AM Post #13 of 30
Quote:

You should be able to pick up a used zune 80gb for pretty cheap now and throw in a 500gb drive

Oh yes, please, sell me 5mm 1.8" 500gb hard drive from your year 2020!
Unfortunately, here, in year 2009, capacity of 5mm 1.8" hard drives is limited by 120GB.

Aug 30, 2009 at 12:37 PM Post #15 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1975DCS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi thanks everyone for their replies!

In a summary you "need" the line out of an ipod and use a separate amp. Or you are better of buying a Zune or iAudio and swap the HDD? Anyone using an Archos at this moment? An all in one package is preferred, otherwise I can just use my Toshiba laptop at home (which is 95% of the usage). Reason I want a big MP3 player is that I don't want to have a separate copy for all my music in lower quality, just to fit a small MP3 player, nor do I want to choose songs manually... Currently the collection is 130 GB... It is difficult to choose as it means use either ALAC or FLAC...

Greetz,
Daniël

You are welcome
smily_headphones1.gif

But its not ipod+portable amp, its the iMOD+portable amp that you need (or iriver setup above). And big phones like your senns will be on a different level compared to same big phones underjuiced from small crappy internal amp (be it iAudio, Archos or anything else)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back