best losless for a classic or is there a problem
Oct 7, 2007 at 7:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

chef8489

Headphoneus Supremus
Well picked up an ipod classic and decided to re rip everything into losless. Currently usuing apple lossless but I hear artifacts that I did not hear with the 320 mp3's I had before.My last player was the creativezen vision M and sounded great. Kinda disapointed with the classic right now but not sure if it is the headphone out or the apple losless. I did rerip and not just change the 320 to losless.

Oct 7, 2007 at 10:31 PM Post #3 of 8
Well not hissing.. More like distortion It is not on al albums but there are quite a few. Sometimes i hear crackeling. I am using the headphone out with my ue-5c as I do not currentl have an amp.

Oct 7, 2007 at 10:36 PM Post #4 of 8
It's just a possibility but crackling could be mastering issues from your CDs that's causing clipping. Especially if you're using the iPod's EQ. MP3 encoders can tend to mask some problems like this.

Oct 7, 2007 at 11:07 PM Post #5 of 8
Not using eq but there is defently some distortion and crackeling on about 1/3 of my music.an example would be half the songs on Evanescence Fallen album.

Oct 8, 2007 at 1:53 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by chef8489 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not using eq but there is defently some distortion and crackeling on about 1/3 of my music.an example would be half the songs on Evanescence Fallen album.

I have that album in lossless on my iPod and since you mentioned it I've been listening to it for a while now. I have heard the odd bit of crackling and by listening to the track again it seems to occur every time in the same places. Probably about half the songs just as you describe. I don't think I'd notice it much if I wasn't listening for it. To me it does sound like mastering problems but ripping problems sometimes sound like this too. The album is certainly heavily compressed; the cymbals sound terrible and the drums are really lacking impact. From memory their newer album "The Open Door" has quite a bit of audible distortion too so I wouldn't be surprised if it was mastering. I still wouldn't rule out the iPod either though. Do you have a CD player or other lossless player you can compare with? Even WAV or AIFF would do for comparison purposes.

Oct 8, 2007 at 2:20 AM Post #7 of 8
I could use my computer or I think my roomate has a cd player. Will probably be a few hours before I find out something.

Edit ok listened to a cd player and the distortion and crackling is on the cd also.. So I guess it will all be ok.

Oct 8, 2007 at 9:02 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by chef8489 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well picked up an ipod classic and decided to re rip everything into losless. Currently usuing apple lossless but I hear artifacts that I did not hear with the 320 mp3's I had before.My last player was the creativezen vision M and sounded great. Kinda disapointed with the classic right now but not sure if it is the headphone out or the apple losless. I did rerip and not just change the 320 to losless.

as a testbed, if you can listen to a flac file somehow, re-rip one album or one track you are hearing artifacts in, to FLAC level 0 - and see if you hear the same stuff then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back