Best-looking, reasonably-priced amp
Dec 18, 2012 at 3:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Mogget

New Head-Fier
So I'm toying with the idea of a new amp to drive my Sennheiser 650's -- I have an old Audio-GD Compass right now.  From what I can tell, an ODAC/O2 combination is probably pretty hard to beat with anything less than $500, and as a professional scientist I like things based on numbers.

However, looks matter!  So, as a decidedly non-scientific poll, what's your favourite dac/amp setup (integrated or separate) in the $500 (or so) class?  I like the look of the Stello D100/A100, and the Schiit Bifrost/Valhalla combination is fairly pretty.  I'm also kind of attracted to the Little Dot D100/Mk.IVSE, and lots of people rave about that setup with the 650's.  So, bring on the opinions!

Dec 20, 2012 at 2:38 AM Post #2 of 6
My opinion-- A used Woo Audio WA-6.  My old one is in my profile photo.  Right around the $500 dollar mark.  I really enjoyed that pairing with the HD-650.  Plus the sound really takes off with higher grade tubes.  It will grow with you until you get into cans that need more power.

It's also damn pretty.

Dec 20, 2012 at 3:31 AM Post #3 of 6
I would say O2 in a better designed case. There are plenty of examples around.

Dec 21, 2012 at 11:25 PM Post #4 of 6
Sexy and cheap (though you could probably get better things with a budget of 500) means Schiit Magni and Mogi. Man, that Schiit is sexy. No idea how it sounds though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back