Best looking / performing bedside rig (please post pics!)
Jun 16, 2009 at 3:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

s_nyc

100+ Head-Fier
Hi All,

I have decided to build a nice bedside set up over the next years by purchasing a new element every 6 months or so (I know, this may seem slow). My plan is to make long-term purchases of good quality stuff.

As of now, I only have an iPod classic and a pair of Ultrasone Pro 900, meaning that the next purchases should be (in that order) an headphone amp and possibly a CD/SACD player with a good built-in DAC (if someone can convince me that the SQ will be better than a iPod with 320kbps AAC music - LOD - Good amp setup).

Since my dear wife is not so fond of "all my electronic stuff in the bedroom" (i.e. 2 iPods, a flashing-like-crazy-blackberry, IEMs, heapdhones, etc.) for obvious reasons, I'd really like that this set up be as good looking, sleek and discrete and possible. I had in mind something like a Cambridge Sonata AR30/CD30 combo, a Headmap Gilmore Lite (but which source then?) or anything in this price range fitting my criteria.

Would you guys be able to post some pictures of your bedside rigs if you consider that they match my criteria? Any other suggestions or advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

S.

Jun 17, 2009 at 4:34 AM Post #2 of 3
If you want to keep it simple and matching
wink.gif
why not use your ipod as a transport with the wadia itransport and purchase the matching wadia dac (maybe out this fall?) with the built in ray samuels audio headphone amp.. approximately 3 pieces (including ipod). Or something of that order, using the itransport should yield close to cd quality sound, not bad for a bedside rig. And the small footprint should keep the missus happy!

Jun 17, 2009 at 3:33 PM Post #3 of 3
Oooooh... so, bypassing the iPod's DAC? Looks almost too good to be true!!

Many thanks for the suggestion. The only downside is the overall price of around $2000 for the full system. I was more thinking of something around $500-1000 for an amp and cd player.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back