Best looking movies
Sep 5, 2008 at 11:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 103

sebastian589

500+ Head-Fier
I'm not necessarily looking for movies that have great picture quality/definition (though you can certainly include them), but rather movies with great visual styles and elements. Basically movies that make your eyes smile. Some of my personal favorites

A Scanner Darkly
- it's not just the concept, but how beautifully done the finished product was. (I can't believe I'm saying this but Keanu wasn't too bad)

House of Flying Daggers
- The colors and the shot framing etc were impeccable, I love watching this movie in the most literal sense, simply watching it

Finding Nemo and the Incredibles The colors duke, the colors!

Nightmare Before Christmas - Everything is so smooth!

Last of the Mohicans
and Dances with Wolves - Just plain pleasant

Pretty much any Wes Anderson movie - I think Wes does a great job utilizing picture as a storyteller, he pays great attention to visuals

Hot Fuzz - Saw this on Blu-Ray, one of the best looking movies I've ever seen, hilarious to boot

This list is just for fun so throw add anything that comes to mind

Sep 6, 2008 at 12:06 AM Post #3 of 103
Louis Malle - Le Feu Follet . And just about any other French New Wave film. (I realize Malle was an outsider)

Andrei Tarkovsky - Stalker

Ridley Scott - Legend

Dave McKean - MirrorMask

Stanley Kubrick - 2001

Sergio Leone - Once Upon a Time in the West. Don't let the Western bit fool you. It's a gorgeous film.

Peter Greenaway - The Falls (but take your pick: The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover; A Zed & Two Noughts; A Walk Through H: The Reincarnation of an Ornithologist; his shorts films; etc.)

Aleksandr Sokurov - Russian Ark

Sep 6, 2008 at 2:54 AM Post #4 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by sebastian589 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pretty much any Wes Anderson movie - I think Wes does a great job utilizing picture as a storyteller, he pays great attention to visuals

LOVE Wes Anderson Movies. Have you seen the DVD extra for The Darjeeling Limited and the hand painted train? The guy pays attention to every detail. Love it.

Sep 6, 2008 at 3:23 AM Post #5 of 103
sin-city-posters.jpg

Sep 6, 2008 at 3:44 AM Post #6 of 103
I recently saw Jack Clayton's The Innocents in widescreen on DVD and it sure was beautiful.

See ya
Steve

Sep 6, 2008 at 7:08 AM Post #8 of 103
Peter_Pan_2003_film.jpg

Hero_poster.jpg

Bringing_out_the_dead.jpg

Bringing out the dead is one of my favorite films. I also enjoyed this Nicolas Cage movie much:

Adaptation._film.jpg

A many Martin Scorsese's and Spike Jonze's films are my favorites.

Edit: Well I guess only Adaptation and Being John Malkovich are movies by Spike Jonze that I really like. I thought he also directed Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. Coincidentally the writer for that movie was the same writer for Being John Malkovich and Adaptation. I am though looking forward to Where the Wild Things Are which is being directed by Jonze.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 6, 2008 at 7:12 AM Post #9 of 103
Sin City was the first to mind, but Mr. Purple beat me to it. I watched that movie in the theaters and I remember a few older audience members walking out in disgust. I guess Sin City's critical acclaim was not as well known as its graphic nature...

Sep 6, 2008 at 7:18 AM Post #11 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by sebastian589 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
House of Flying Daggers[/B] - The colors and the shot framing etc were impeccable, I love watching this movie in the most literal sense, simply watching it

If you liked this, you must watch Hero, which is a better movie in every way (including stylization).

IMO OF COURSE

Sep 6, 2008 at 8:18 AM Post #13 of 103
Amelie was beautiful IMO.

Sep 6, 2008 at 9:07 AM Post #15 of 103
Mulholland Drive
Lost Highway
Barton Fink
Being John Malkovich
Blade Runner
Brazil
Vertigo
Rear Window