Best Looking Caps
Nov 17, 2005 at 9:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

saab

500+ Head-Fier
I will be starting on another Millet amp in the near future and would like to know where I can find the best looking caps. I also want them to be high grade caps.
wink.gif

-John

Nov 17, 2005 at 9:14 PM Post #2 of 24
Electrolytic caps?

Black Gates look pretty darn sexy to me....
icon10.gif

Nov 17, 2005 at 9:41 PM Post #5 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by cetoole
How about nude caps, strip the cover off whatever caps are best in your budget, and polish them up.

Yeh, a bit of brasso and a duster.... brings them up like chrome
cool.gif

1.jpg

WNA MKll

DSCF0037.jpg

X-CAN V3

Nov 17, 2005 at 10:21 PM Post #6 of 24
I never thought about naked caps. I will have to give that a try.

What is the best cap that is not considered splurging?

Thanks
-John

Nov 18, 2005 at 12:24 AM Post #8 of 24
Yeah, probably the Panasonic FM's.. Though Nichicon Muses don't cost too much more. The nice thing about the Panny's is you can get them at 35v ratings, where I've only been able to find Muse caps at 25v/50v and up.

Nov 18, 2005 at 3:10 AM Post #9 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by saab
I never thought about naked caps. I will have to give that a try.

What is the best cap that is not considered splurging?

Thanks
-John

Probably Panasonic FMs, although I guess splurging depends on your own definition, which is likely dependent on your budget.

Pinkie: That WNA you posted was actually what made me think of it, very nice work there, it looks dead sexy, IMO. Any idea if removing the labeling helps longevity of the parts, due to reduced heat?

Nov 18, 2005 at 4:58 AM Post #10 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by cetoole
Any idea if removing the labeling helps longevity of the parts, due to reduced heat?

They'd have to be getting hot before there was any heat to reduce. Ripple current in a headamp is rather trivial for the (relatively) giant caps we're using so no, it makes no difference.

Polished caps look pretty good but in the long run you might have a longer-lasting beautification by spraying some clear polyurethane on them - keep it off the seals on the bottom just in case they'd be degraded.

Nov 18, 2005 at 6:24 PM Post #11 of 24
Naked caps = hawt. My only reservation is if you wanna sell it, people have to take you at your word that they are good quality caps.

Nov 18, 2005 at 6:39 PM Post #12 of 24
Quote:

My only reservation is if you wanna sell it, people have to take you at your word that they are good quality caps.

Or maybe they would let their ears be the judge instead of wanting what "looks" good ?

Not trying to pick a fight but I never thought to see this type of question asked seriously in what is considered to be a forum in how to get the ultimate sound with headphones and not the ultimate "look" even though this is a thing manufacturers of high end gear have known for years and why some parts look better than they sound yet are still used.
The photoshoot for the ad is more imprtant than what should be important and this "pretty face,nice undies" approach to audio is not cheap by any stretch.
$50 worth of circuitry in a $2K chassis and the suckers think they have a bargain
very_evil_smiley.gif

the sad part is if they built solely on the merits and came in at a good price the gear would not move and no reviewer would touch it with the proverbial ten foot pole.Reviewers thrive on telling you how amp "A" at $10,000 sounds better than amp "B" at $5,000 even if amp "C" at $1,200 blows both out of the water with actual music.

No offense meant to the thread starter,just find this very strange to see something I know goes on (populating pc boards by how pretty it looks in a picture) posted so openly.That actually takes some balls
wink.gif

Nov 18, 2005 at 7:57 PM Post #13 of 24
Hmm , trendy aftermarket 'skins' for caps now there's a thought.........

very_evil_smiley.gif

Nov 18, 2005 at 8:11 PM Post #14 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by rickcr42
Or maybe they would let their ears be the judge instead of wanting what "looks" good ?

In that case, I have some very nice unlabeled Blackgates I'd like to sell you.
wink.gif

Nov 18, 2005 at 8:19 PM Post #15 of 24
Quote:

In that case, I have some very nice unlabeled Blackgates I'd like to sell you

BGs are OK but not in all circuits or in all postions of the same amp and that is what i mean about using ears instead of eyes
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back