Best live concerts 2003
Jan 12, 2004 at 4:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

FalconP

Headphoneus Supremus
Tell us the best concerts, shows or gigs you've been last year -- of any type of music, including classical.

For me:

Muzsikas and Marta Sebestyen -- This Hungarian folk group gave a splendid, spirited performance of the music they've gathered in the Transylvian region, at the same time highlighting the influence of the music to the works of Bartok and Kodaly. The pure, crystal-clear voice of Marta Sebestyen mesmerised the audience, and to my surprise she was also a decent performer of folk flute.

Evelyn Glennie -- The praise I heard about this Scottish performer of percussion instrument was so outrageous that I have concluded that it was all hype, perhaps attributable to the fact that she was almost completely deaf. But when I saw her performance, my boy she was simply MAGICAL. I was never a big fan of percussion instruments, and the pieces she played were totally unknown to me, yet I was totally taken by the performance: the finesse, the wonderful graduation of dynamics, the super-human speed, the versatility...I had better not join the rank of hypers, but should Glennie come to a town near you, do see her.

Mísia -- The second time I see this wonder Portugese fado singer in concert. This time she performed a series of new songs from her latest album. These songs, with music provided by Portugese composer Carlos Paredes, transended the boundary of traditional fado, and they've found an excellent expression in Mísia's voice with its searing intensity (although she did overkill occasionally) Mísia's friendly stage personalities provided a comfortable respite between the often tragic songs.

Jan 12, 2004 at 10:44 PM Post #3 of 18
My #1 show of 2003 was,without doubt, The Old Blind Dogs back in March....They arrived here along with a blizzard and promptly blew a packed Milestones in downtown Rochester away...We were oh so lucky to see them two nights in a row,but I think the following night had a case of the 'one too many drams from the night before'.....Much more subdued but still the third best night out last year.....Coming in at #2 were Full Frontal Folk...Great fun,but sadly I could only stay for one of their three sets...
Off to see a Danish band this Wed called Phonix...would be grateful for any Head-Fiers takes on them...Our local guru raves about them but another viewpoint never hurt. And then The Glengarry Bhoys Friday night...Joy!
Sorry if this last bit is a wee bit off thread....

Jan 12, 2004 at 11:35 PM Post #4 of 18
2003 was a good year for live music for me. Some of the highlights have to include:

Kenny Wayne Shepard w/Double Trouble. Pairing Kenny Wayne with Chris Layton and Tommy Shannon was a brillant idea. They rocked the house.

Ben Harper and the Innocent Criminals - I've been a fan of Harper for a while but had never seen him live. You really must see him live to appreciate his talent.

Jeff Beck - I've been waiting 20 years to see Jeff Beck and I wasn't disappointed.

Drive By Truckers - Saw these guys in a bar and they know how to rock & roll. After a 3+ hour show my friend summed it all up by say "I thought I was gonna have to go beg them to stop!"

Allman Brothers Band - This incarnation of the Brothers is the best since Dicky and Duane IMO.

Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band - Johnny Cash had just passed on and Bruce opened the show with a duet with Patty of I Walk the Line. Amazing show.

Many other good shows but these were the highlights.

Jan 13, 2004 at 4:35 AM Post #5 of 18
I heard the Bjork show in Toronto was incredible... and I'm still kicking myself for missing it...
frown.gif

Jan 13, 2004 at 5:33 AM Post #6 of 18
I only managed to see three shows in 2003, but they were all awesome:

1. Sigur Ros - Tower Theatre, Philadelphia.
Sonic bliss and an awesome venue. Just like they do on the album, times ten.

2. Dirty Three - TLA, Philadelphia.
I may go as far to say that these guys are my favourite band at the moment. They had an extra member on bass-duties. Fortunately he did not distract from their usual intensely dynamic and cathartic performance.

3. Charlie Hunter Trio - North Star, Philadelphia.
This guy is all fingers - both an aural and visual tour de force!

Jan 13, 2004 at 9:40 AM Post #7 of 18
god so many..

Radiohead @ Glastonbury .. I'm not a great fan (or a fan at all), but they really blew me away.. and for an hour or so I got swept up in the hype, REM, Beth Orton, Boom Bip, Mogwai and Sigur Ros were all noticeably good performances too.

Arab Strap .. reminded me just why I love Mad For Sadness so much... Aidans songs really come to life in a live setting, with the welcome addition of piano, cello and violin players.

M83 .. along with Ulrich Schnauss one of the best electronic album -> live transformations I've ever seen... stunning.

Jan 13, 2004 at 12:58 PM Post #8 of 18
i saw beck @ brisbane, australia in march. was pretty cool, though the crowd did not react as well as his old stuff to seachange songs.

also saw dj shadow @ brisbane too in september i think. again his new stuff wasn't as crowd pleasing as his old stuff. but his final song/video was cool. djing music through video.

gonna see quite a few bands this sunday at the big day out festival, the sleepy jackson, the darkness, the datsuns, black eyed peas, jet, muse, basement jaxx, mars volta, flaming lips.. ect.. check the link!

www.bigdayout.com

Jan 13, 2004 at 5:29 PM Post #9 of 18
Hands down- Bjork in Montreal
Godspeed You! Black Emperor also in Montreal is a distant second only because the Bjork show was so incredible.

Jan 13, 2004 at 5:47 PM Post #10 of 18
The only live show I saw in 2003 was Venetian Snares, way back in January. Was damn good, though. Never seen people mosh to drum 'n' bass before.

This year I'm pretty sure I'm going to make Mutek in Montreal, though. Hope the lineup's good...

- Chris

Jan 13, 2004 at 6:44 PM Post #11 of 18
In 2003 Pensacola FL had concerts of "A Perfect Circle", and "Three Doors down". Went to both, they were excellent. I also went to hear Jacqui Naylor live in New Orleans, it was great, got her CD's autographed and everything
biggrin.gif

Jan 13, 2004 at 7:44 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by mojoman
Ben Harper and the Innocent Criminals - I've been a fan of Harper for a while but had never seen him live. You really must see him live to appreciate his talent.

Yes, I completely agree. That concert was the best I've ever been to. He has so much energy on the stage, its amazing.

Jan 14, 2004 at 4:20 AM Post #13 of 18
Coachella: Red Hot Chili Peppers and Queens of the Stone Age really did it for me. After every set, I would get closer and closer, so it went something like this for the last day:

(Main Set)
White Stripes - a bit too far, but Jack White ripped up the guitar.
Iggy Pop and the Stooges - Ah, much closer now. I'm not going to lie and say I know Iggy Pop very well, but I listened to a couple albums before going up to Coachella. Good show.
Red Hot Chili Peppers - (less than 10 feet. from the front) Had a GREAT time. Everybody was hugging each other and singing along and dancing. Although I'd never admit it to my RHCP friend, this show > Radiohead @ Chula Vista.

Radiohead @ Chula Vista: Although this was the 2nd best show I saw this year, it was my first time catching Radiohead. I must say if it weren't for the whole vibe at Coachella during the RHCP set Radiohead would've blown RHCP away. RHCP was emotionally stunning, Radiohead was visually and aurally stunning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back