Best Live Album?
Mar 10, 2004 at 4:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 65

sno1man

1000+ Head-Fier
I did a search and could not find this specific topic so......

Certainly to me the best live rock album

The Allman Brothers Live at Fillmore East. Just the versions of Whipping Post and In Memory of Elizabeth Reed are THE superior versions of those songs.

Honorable Mention- Cheap Trick Live at Budokan

Mar 10, 2004 at 5:50 PM Post #2 of 65
The Allman Brothers would also be on my list for both Fillmore East and Atlanta International Pop Festival.

Love Van Morrison's Too Late to Stop Now as well as Little Feat's Waiting for Columbus.

Mar 10, 2004 at 5:50 PM Post #3 of 65
I've gotta say the 2 best live albums I've ever heard were actually live concerts, and I'm sure it helps that they are on DVD, but anyways...

Linkin Park - "Live In Texas": the sound is insane, perfect recording.

Our Lady Peace - "Live": this is an amazing DVD, the sound is even better than the studio album in my opinion

Mar 10, 2004 at 5:59 PM Post #4 of 65
Well, i'd say that any show from Bruce Springsteens '78 tour is the best live album/performance ever. If you get a chance to listen to one, you would know why!
600smile.gif

But as far as official releases go, i'll have to go with the "Bruce Springsteen Live 75-85 Box"
Rock at it's best!
cool.gif

Mar 10, 2004 at 6:24 PM Post #5 of 65
Pain of Salvation - 12:05
If none of you have heard it, I must highly recommend it.
PoS is a metal band, but this is an all acoustic recording with all of their songs retooled to properly fit the acoustic format.
It's amazing.

Mar 10, 2004 at 8:54 PM Post #6 of 65
AC/DC's "Live in Donington" kicks some serious ass. Other great live performances are Metallica's "S&M" and Rush's "Rush in Rio."

Mar 10, 2004 at 9:17 PM Post #8 of 65
The Who - Live at Leeds
Built to Spill - Live

Mar 10, 2004 at 10:15 PM Post #9 of 65
Quote:

Originally posted by danaa
The Allman Brothers would also be on my list for both Fillmore East and Atlanta International Pop Festival.

Love Van Morrison's Too Late to Stop Now as well as Little Feat's Waiting for Columbus.

Man me too !. I love van's version of I beleive to my soul and Caravan on that album. Iv'e been working is also a standout, better than the studio version

I hate the version of warm love though. I like little feat so I'll have to check that one out

A couple of others in the honorable mention category

The Name of this band is- Talking Heads; out of print but actually superior to stop making sense.

James Brown- Live at the Appollo

Mar 10, 2004 at 10:42 PM Post #11 of 65
Some of my favorite live albums come from King Crimson, I have over 15 live albums from there many different eras, but the one that stands out the most would be "The Night Watch". The recording is ridiculously good for 1974 and the playing is spot on perfect. It was so good that Crimson choose to use most of the material on this album for there next studio album "Starless and Bible Black"

An honorable mention for best live album is Frank Zappa's "Zappa in New York 1978" This album has it all, great humor, tight playing, and great sound.

I second the notion to pick up Pain of Salvation's acoustic record 12:5. This band is led by the great vocalist/guitar player Daniel Gildenlow, who vocal performance and acoustic arrangements of the presented material extremely unique and impressive. The music is a mix between the complexity of Dream Theater, and the vocal abilities of a Freddy Mercury.

Mar 10, 2004 at 11:00 PM Post #12 of 65
Regarding the Alison Krauss, it sounds great as a redbook CD too. She has that honest vocal characteristic (kind of like Emmylou Harris) that makes me think I'm listening to an angel. Just kind of melt.

Mar 10, 2004 at 11:04 PM Post #13 of 65
Im not quite sure it is the best, but How the West Was Won is a really great live album. The 25 minute long Dazed and Confused is fantastic.
Led Zeppelin is one of the few bands where i think some of there live prefomances are equal to or better than their studio work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back