Best Linux sound card?
Nov 1, 2004 at 5:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

dallasstar

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys, I was just wondering if you guys know of a good audiophile quality sound card for use in Linux. I'm going to switch over to Linux (already have, actually) and I want to buy an external or pcmcia card that will work since I use a laptop. Thanks for any help. Does the echo indigo work on linux?

Nov 1, 2004 at 11:16 PM Post #2 of 10
Surely somebody here uses Linux?
frown.gif

Anybody have success using Echo Indigo in Linux? I'm looking at buying one.

Nov 2, 2004 at 4:09 AM Post #5 of 10
Good luck :p I won't ever attempt to use Linux for real audio again. Its a far cry from using Core Audio on a Mac or ASIO on PC's. Make good use of the alsa mailing list archives, there are lots of good configs there and you can catch up on the ins/outs of various versions. You might experience things working one version, then not in the next, etc. I would stick with any Envy24/ht based board, they seem to work well and are popular with the alsa crowd. Playback works pretty well for analog, sometimes digital is flaky. Capture on the envy24ht sucks, the input gain is not adjustable, and you have to do some syncing of sampling rates to get some setups working right for full duplex. If you find an actual issue, it may be a while before its fixed: https://bugtrack.alsa-project.org/al...iew.php?id=151 .

Anyway, enough ranting on linux sound support...

All the creative boards are subject to the same limitations as on windows: ie 48khz resampling. Stay away from them.

Nov 2, 2004 at 4:17 AM Post #6 of 10
I have had great luck with alot of the desktop cards, tb santa cruz, audiophile, etc. Check the ALSA compatibility matrix and see if your desired card's chipset is supported. ALSA is integrated into all 2.6+ kernels and works quite well.

Nov 2, 2004 at 5:31 AM Post #7 of 10
yep! the turtle beach santa cruz workds great in linux (tried RH 9.0 and Fedora Core 2).
I've also successfully used the M-Audio Revolution 7.1 under both distros but never bothered with anything beyond analog playback.
as mentioned about, check www.alsa-project.org for a list of supported sound cards or chips-sets.

Nov 3, 2004 at 9:16 PM Post #8 of 10
Thanks, that helped a lot
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 3, 2004 at 10:24 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by kalzone
yep! the turtle beach santa cruz workds great in linux (tried RH 9.0 and Fedora Core 2).
I've also successfully used the M-Audio Revolution 7.1 under both distros but never bothered with anything beyond analog playback.
as mentioned about, check www.alsa-project.org for a list of supported sound cards or chips-sets.

My experience was not so fortunate with tbsc. I ran into the metallic distortion problem (see alsa web page for CS4630 for description), and it still has not been solved.
frown.gif

I suspect most cards based on Envy24 are fine in Linux.

Nov 3, 2004 at 11:09 PM Post #10 of 10
Get the M-Audio audiophile 24/96

It has the best sounding drivers - better sounding than the windows drivers and they have seamless performance.

I guarantee you that you will have zero problems with the 24/96 card - it is the most perfect Linux drivers out there - it's even better than the emu10k1 chips in Linux (as far as compatability goes - the sound quality sucks on those).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back