"Best" LIGHTNING dongle DAC?
Nov 25, 2021 at 7:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

jcslone

New Head-Fier
Hey all!

Ok so I'm specifically looking for a lightning (NOT USB-C) dongle-style DAC for my iPhone. Something that ideally has a sound signature similar to my iFi iDSD Diablo. DAC's like the Lootoo PAW are not really what I want (but I might go that route if it's the only way to get what I want).

I need 4.4mm balanced output, not 2.5mm. 3.5mm SE port would be a nice bonus.
Don't care if it supports MQA or not.
Driving Moondrop S8, DCA Aeon 2c, and DCA Ether Flow 1.1.

TIA!

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2021 at 4:45 PM Post #2 of 14
you could get a usb-c dongle and the TC28i adapter. That's what I do with my dongles and they work great.

Dec 24, 2021 at 9:44 AM Post #4 of 14
I’m loving my FiiO/Jade Audio KA3 but can’t attest to how it sounds compared to the Diablo. You will need to get a separate Type-C to lightning otg cable tho
I have a jade with my iPhone but I’m not super impressed with the 3.5 output. It isn’t any louder than an apple dongle. Thr balanced output is significantly better though. Also, the iPhone-Jade dac combo is not compatible with some headphones, especially planars. It has something to do with the Jade sucking to much volatage from my iPhone 12. 100% volume is barely loud enough and then the dac crashes my iPhone/Apple Music app.

Dec 24, 2021 at 11:06 AM Post #5 of 14
I've been loving my Lotoo PAW S2 with my iPhone. I got a DD Hifi Lightning to USB-C cable and I've really enjoyed the sound quality and convenience. The line-out functionality is also a plus. With the earbuds and headphones I use it with (mainly my Meze 99 Classics, which are really easy to drive), it works really well and I haven't encountered any power draw issues. Not sure how it would fare with your DCA stuff, though...

Dec 24, 2021 at 9:25 PM Post #6 of 14
L&P W1 or W2 might be worth investigating.

Aug 24, 2022 at 10:10 AM Post #7 of 14
I have the THX onyx - I love it *(tried the L&P W2)

But the damn thing won't connect - My iPhone has stopped seeing the Apple Lightning to USB camera adapter...

Any one else?

Aug 29, 2022 at 12:10 PM Post #9 of 14
iPone now see the THX Onyx

Aug 30, 2022 at 12:19 PM Post #10 of 14
I have the THX Onyx, and while I love using it with my laptop, it feels like a bit too much of a cable salad to use on the go with my iphone. I'm using the apple lighting camera connector into the Onyx, via the USB-A to -C adapter that comes with the Onyx. If anyone has a better solution, I'm all ears (like a small lighting to female USB-C adapter...does that exist?)

One thing to keep in mind about the Onyx that is both a blessing and a curse is that it has a LOT of gain on offer (for a dongle). Great if you're using it with inefficient full sized planars or something. Kind of a pain to use with my more sensitive (110db+) IEM's though. I have CIEM's which are very well isolating, and in a quiet office environment volume level 1 or 2 out of 100 is a perfectly fine "moderate" listening volume. If I want to listen at a "quiet" volume, on some tracks I need to set windows' system wide output to 1/100 and use Tidal's in-app volume control. It's even more difficult on iOS because there's only the system wide volume control.

Feb 17, 2023 at 5:11 PM Post #12 of 14
I've tried a few dongle-DACs with my iPhone, and I reckon Apple's own adapter is the best all things considered, especially for size and convenience which is all I really want when I'm just using my phone. If I want something better on the go, that's what a DAP is for imho.

Feb 17, 2023 at 11:50 PM Post #14 of 14
I’m trying this out right now and so far so good for my mobile IEMs; as of now, the campfire VEGA with the “super Smokey litz”. Better separation, soundstage, and deeper impact than traditional dongle from Alpha & delta or apple dongle thus far while using Lightning to usb c included cable while MAG “safed” to my iPhone.

KHADAS Tea Portable Headphone Amplifier,DAC Magnetic Amplifier Bluetooth 5.0 HiFi Hi-Res USB DAC 32bit/384KHz, 1160mAh Battery ESS ES9281AC Pro Qualcomm QCC5125 LDAC/aptX HD, PCM, DSD, MQA(Grey) https://a.co/d/flbk97z

Users who are viewing this thread

Back