Best keyboards for gaming!
Jul 9, 2012 at 6:20 PM Post #81 of 275
A quality mechanical is heaven.

Currently typing on the Das Ultimate S Silent (blank keys, brown switches) and absolutely love it. A great purchase that will last for YEARS. I find brown switches the most versatile, and would generally avoid the "gamer" mechanical keyboards in favor of models like Das or Filco.

Jul 14, 2012 at 10:32 PM Post #82 of 275
I use Ducky Shine CherryMX Brown, White LED version. Brilliant for SC2 and stuff
LED backlighting is nice (including wasd-only fps mode), or just turn off for stealth mode
Got a cheap Ducky leather wrist wrest from PChome for it too, total quality perfect match

Apart from the sexy LEDs, the reason I chose it over Leopold/Filco/Das is that it has Function+Multimedia Fkeys (volume/mute/play etc), and extra keys in the top right instead of logo - repeat rate, or calculator/myComp/email etc.

I wouldn't mind trying a CherryMX Red mech kb too, might get one eventually, probably a tenkeyless one (no numpad) as it reduces the distance between kb and mouse arms; more desk space.
Heard Cherry Red are very easy to press (but still nice and tactile), making them perfect for RTS like Sc2, but not as good as Brown/blue for typing.

A friend has the Cherry Black switch version of my Ducky and says its a bit hard to press sometimes, especially for typing, but quite nice for FPS games (less accidental strafing etc, you have to JAM them keys in to move around)

Aug 25, 2012 at 3:21 AM Post #83 of 275
This Topic makes for good intelligence on candidates for a replacement of the first of my two Logitech® G15 Mk II's (spec., PID SC0131500CH, 110-key U. S. layout), which is going bad after two years' hard use; synthetic-spring-dome technology doesn't last forever.  The Cherry® MX Blues make for one viable option for an IBM® PS/85-compatible replacement keyboard.  And I already know about the various Unicomp® 101-, 102-, 104-, and 105-key models based on the 1980's-vintage Model M technology (buckling-spring-actuated DuPont® Mylar® membrane switches) inherited from International Business Machines Corporation; maybe I can help with specs for a new 130- to 132-key Model M frame to support 122- and 126-key terminal-style models for all languages (especially Japanese Multistation apps).

For my LinUX box, due to be rebuilt for Ubuntu® 12.04.1-LTS as of 25 August 2012, what I really want is an upgrade of the classic IBM® 61103xx 122-keys (ideally P/N 6110344 from the 3270PC, Type 5271) built on the no-longer-manufacturable (due to environmental laws) Model F technology from the late 1970's, which uses buckling-spring-actuated capacitive keysensors in a three-layer curved fiberglass printed-circuit board; a new controller chip, either an Intel® P80C49 or D87C49, or a Motorola® MC68HC05 or MC68HC705, should provide for true PC compatibility, provided that it is loaded with the correct firmware (not much can be done about the IBM® PMOS oscillator/Johnson counters critical to Model F functionality, in terms of getting power consumption at +5VDC under control for late-model mobos' keyboard ports).

Aug 27, 2012 at 11:50 PM Post #85 of 275
I have a Das Professional Clicky and Steelseries 7G. 

I really like them both but have been using the DAS more as of late. Those clicking Cherry MX blue switches become addicting......lol

Aug 28, 2012 at 11:16 AM Post #86 of 275
I really like my blackwidow ultimate, the clicky cherry blues are really good and with tactile feedback i dont feel like im pounding on the keys all the way to the bottom to get a register

Aug 31, 2012 at 3:10 AM Post #89 of 275
Quote:
Does it need to be said?
All < IBM model m 

Unless you're one of the lucky folks with an IBM Model F 122-key and one of those USB adapters designed by someone in the Geekhack community (can't remember his name) that allow full NKRO over USB somehow.

Other than that, it's tough to beat the Model M. Durable keycaps (they don't smooth out and lose their texture quickly even with the pounding I give my keyboards when typing), and the buckling spring feel can't be beat for someone who loves tactility.

Also, they're cheap! Visit your local thrift store or computer shop; they might just have one for a few dollars!

2KRO and lack of Win/Cmd/Meta are the only significant drawbacks, yet its 2KRO layout doesn't even bother me most of the time, unlike some boards where S-D-Space fails (*cough*Dell AT101W*cough*), among other common combos.

Aug 31, 2012 at 11:10 PM Post #90 of 275
Quote:

Unless you're one of the lucky folks with an IBM Model F 122-key and one of those USB adapters designed by someone in the Geekhack community (can't remember his name) that allow full NKRO over USB somehow.

Other than that, it's tough to beat the Model M. Durable keycaps (they don't smooth out and lose their texture quickly even with the pounding I give my keyboards when typing), and the buckling spring feel can't be beat for someone who loves tactility.

Also, they're cheap! Visit your local thrift store or computer shop; they might just have one for a few dollars!

2KRO and lack of Win/Cmd/Meta are the only significant drawbacks, yet its 2KRO layout doesn't even bother me most of the time, unlike some boards where S-D-Space fails (*cough*Dell AT101W*cough*), among other common combos.

cool.gif
Not that I was planning on a USB adapter.  Both my rigs came with System/85-compatible keyboard/mouse controllers with the appropriate mini-DIN6 jacks; they should have no problem whatsoever with Unicomp® keyboards of appropriate design and firmware.  International Business Machines engineered the Model F and Model M for business applications, for which 2KRO was judged sufficient; 6+KRO would be a serious trick for both, in terms of programming an upgrade controller.

In fact, Unicomp® has 104- and 105-key Model M's, available in two case designs for users of Microsoft® Windows® NT/2000/XP/6+, a continuation of IBM® originals for the Systems/55 and /85 when running Microsoft® Windows® 4-up (introduced with Win 95); they may be able to custom-manufacture 106-key versions for Japanese customers as well.  Potentially, they could manufacture an EnduraPro 109 for the Japanese market (its original, IBM® P/N 5576C01, FRU 66G8362, marketed as an option for the Personal System/55 by IBM Japan Ltd., was manufactured by IBM Canada Ltd. due to patent concerns over the Trackpoint II technology).  I'm thinking of a custom On The Stick 122 emulator, set up for hybrid 3270/5250 duty, as a backup to the IBM® 6110344 hunt; the Model M was engineered to use the most common Model F keycaps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back