Best Jazz Guitar Albums
Jan 12, 2011 at 10:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

FlatNine

500+ Head-Fier
I'm a jazz lover, especially when it comes to jazz guitar. I'd like to see what others think are their top 3 choices for best jazz guitar albums. Here are my top 3:

1. Wes Montgomery - Smokin at the Half Note
2. Joe Pass - Portraits of Duke Ellington
3. Wes Montgomery - Full House

On a different day, the order might change, but these albums have everything - passion, groove, comping, melodic lines and more. On the Smokin at the Half Note album, Wes's solo gets so cookin that Wynton Kelly supposedly stopped playing altogether to watch and listen to Wes who was truly in another world. Incredible!!

Jan 12, 2011 at 4:25 PM Post #4 of 10

I like Kenny as well, and that album in particular. He makes it sound so easy. If only...

Quote:
My favourite is "Midnight Blue" by Kenny Burrell.

Jan 12, 2011 at 4:32 PM Post #5 of 10

I used to have an album on vinyl by George called "Blue Benson". (not Bad Benson) It started with Billie's Bounce. George was, ans still is, a smokin player. That album was never re-released on CD. But they did come out with "The Silver Collection" which has most of the stuff from Blue Benson. Great stuff.

I only recently started listening to Earl Klugh, his solo stuff mainly. When I was listening to samples of his on Amazon, I came across his "The Earl Klugh Trio, Volume 1" and really dug it. I'll have to listen to his collaboration with George - the two of them separately are amazing, so together they must be something else.

Quote:
George Benson and Earl Klugh Collaboration

Jan 12, 2011 at 6:42 PM Post #7 of 10
I've been listening to a lot of John Abercrombie lately, especially a collection of his work on ECM called Rarum XIV, Selected Recordings.

Jan 12, 2011 at 7:47 PM Post #9 of 10

Pat Martino is definitely in my top 10 players. I have El Hombre - he got chops, but he also has a bit of that old school sound. He's very melodic and is able to create feeling with his lines. Live at Yoshi's is one I need to get.

I really lean towards the older jazz, and not just guitar players. I love early Miles (before Bitches Brew), all the Blue Note guys, and in general, most bop and hard bop. I agree, there is just so much out there. One thing I always do when listening - I ask myself - does this music move me? It may be technically accurate and fast, but if the playing doesn't speak to me, I usually don't like it.

Quote:
There's an awful lot of great jazz guitar out there.  One of the ones that sticks to my ribs is Pat Martino's "Footprints".

- Ed

Jan 13, 2011 at 1:51 AM Post #10 of 10
My favorite has to be "A Go Go" by John Scofield

Users who are viewing this thread

Back