Best Jam Session CDs
Mar 6, 2004 at 4:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

daffa

Head-Fier
So often I get bored with the studio recorded music. Therefore I want to listen to same music but played differently with a lot of improvisations or jam sessions in it. My preference genre is rock.
Could you recommend some for me.
Thanks
DJ

Mar 6, 2004 at 4:43 PM Post #2 of 28
Bloomfield, Kooper & Stills - Super Session

amazing guitar work, and one of the best sounding rock cd i own. make sure you get the 2003 sony remaster.

Mar 6, 2004 at 4:57 PM Post #3 of 28
Yes, I like Super Session, but like the Allman Brothers Live at Filmore East more. Also, a lot of Layla by Derik and the Dominoes was probably improvised, or at least sounds like it. It is sensational imo.

Mar 6, 2004 at 11:09 PM Post #4 of 28
I agree completely with danaa on his recommendations. I would also add The Allman Brothers- Live At The Atlanta Pop Festival 1970. Eric Clapton- Unplugged has many spontaneous moments; as does Neil Young- Unplugged. Tesla- Five Man Acoustical Jam is another favorite of mine.

Mar 7, 2004 at 5:15 PM Post #8 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by daffa
Thanks, has anyone heard "In Session" album of Stevie Ray Vaughan and Albert King? Any good?

This is excellent. It's on sacd too.

Mar 7, 2004 at 9:16 PM Post #10 of 28
not entirely jam, but very jam-like:
Galactic's live performance at the Tippitinas (wrong spelling most likely) in New Orleans:
Galactic - We love 'em tonight

kind of funk, acid jazz, a bit similar to phish (galactic is much better though
biggrin.gif
)

Mar 9, 2004 at 3:32 AM Post #15 of 28
I've seen the Dead many times live, the first about the time they were playing St. Steven, Dark Star, Turn on Your Love Life. They were very hit and miss during their improvs and some people can't stand that aspect of their recordings whatsoever, but, to me, when they were on, they were really, really on.

You young folk can't even imagine the very strange things that used to go on at Dead concerts.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back