Best isolating tips 5mm ID
Nov 19, 2009 at 8:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Technex

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I've had my MMElectronics M6 IEM's for a few weeks now, they sound great but the stock silicone tips do not isolate to the level that I need, even though they fit well and isolate better than most IEM's.

The tubes coming from the IEM's are 5mm OD.

I love the look of the ETY ER20 tips (plugs) and they seem to be exactly what I'm after but I can't find the size anywhere. Would they fit my IEM's?

Other than that what other options do I have for really good isolating tips, which last longer than a month or two?

I've heard the black Shure foam tips are meant to be very good. I've also heard about purchasing ear plugs and then freezing and drilling them?

Comply's are very expensive in comparison to most and are not meant to last long from what I've heard.

I guess I am after deep insertion tips as they isolate better and are less likely to move out on there own.

Just need some advice and options.

Thanks very much in advance.
smily_headphones1.gif

Laurence

Nov 19, 2009 at 10:13 PM Post #2 of 7
ER20 tips are standard Ety silicone triflanges. Ety tips have a diameter of ~3mm IIRC. They definitely wont fit on the M6.

I'm sure you've seen me say this before but I highly recommend the Sony Hybrids. I couldn't get a seal with the stock silicones either, neither on the M6 nor the PL50s. Hybrids fixed both.

Nov 20, 2009 at 1:19 AM Post #3 of 7
I haven't tried it, but I read that you can put a decored comply inside a silicone tip for better isolation.
Sometimes you can get cheaper comply (t-400) from Skullcandy's website when they have discount codes.

Nov 20, 2009 at 7:00 AM Post #4 of 7
if this is the size for standard for dynamic IEMs, try the v-moda vibe tips

Nov 20, 2009 at 7:06 AM Post #5 of 7
Hey guys,

Joker, that's not good nears to hear... I always thought the M6 had a smaller tube/tips than most IEM's! I guess that there is no way to make them that large...
frown.gif

Jjmai, thanks for the suggestion. I've tried cutting up my old JVC marshmallows foam tips and even after reading on these forums about using tissue under the silicone tips but it made no difference at all. I think perhaps the JVC marshmallow's foam is a little too hard so I could try softer foam but really I want to purchase completely new tips.

My JVC marshmallows isolated better
redface.gif

Nov 20, 2009 at 5:07 PM Post #6 of 7
My recollection is that the Ultimate Ears line uses 5mm tips. If so, my favorites are the long RE0 silicone double flanges. (You'll have to stretch them to fit.) If you don't have the RE0, you can purchase the tips at Head Direct.

Nov 20, 2009 at 6:13 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hentai11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My recollection is that the Ultimate Ears line uses 5mm tips. If so, my favorites are the long RE0 silicone double flanges. (You'll have to stretch them to fit.) If you don't have the RE0, you can purchase the tips at Head Direct.

The nozzles on the RE0, and many many other phones, are 5.5mm. I think the Head-Direct bifanges will be a bit too loose on the Ai-M6, although I will admit that I didn't bother trying them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back