Best isolating IEMs w/ mic for walking around town?
Oct 13, 2013 at 9:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

PeanutYYZ

New Head-Fier
The cable on my Etymotic MC2s is getting rather frayed so I'm in the market for a new pair of IEMs. I'm looking for something I can wear to listen to podcasts on long walks around town and to play games/watch movies on my iPad on airplanes.

Anything I buy needs to have an inline mic because I often take calls while walking and prefer not to have to switch between my headphones and a BT headset when the phone rings.

My top priorities are (1) isolation (to block out traffic, jet engines, and other people), (2) comfort and (3) microphonics. I'd like sound quality to not be awful but it doesn't need to sound like I'm in the middle of the world's best theatre (my inputs aren't that great to begin with!). I'm not too sensitive to price; I'll pay up to a couple hundred dollars if that's what it takes to get a good pair of headphones, but obviously I'm not just going to throw money away if there's a cheaper set that has reasonable quality.

In the past I've used the Etymotic MC2 and Nuforce NE-7M, both of which I liked. I was initially considering an upgrade to the HF2 this time around, but I'd like to make sure I consider all my options before purchasing.

So, all-knowing Head-Fi, what's the best isolating IEM with inline mic for walking around town these days?

Thanks!

Oct 13, 2013 at 9:58 AM Post #2 of 7
I have tried the Shure Se215 and you can buy a cable ($50 USD) and I found them the best sound isolating  IEM's that I have tried. Given that the Se215, Se315, SE425, SE535, and SE846 are all based on the same general design they should all isolate the same. I used the Silicone tips with that SE215 but the Foam ones they supply should do even a better job at isolating

Oct 13, 2013 at 4:16 PM Post #4 of 7
+1 for the Shure se215

It took me about a week to get used to them before they got comfortable but they do isolate sound very well.

I wear them daily for my commute to school, they block out all bus, train, traffic noises. However because they block out sound so well I don't feel safe walking around in public with them on.

Microphonics are almost no existence when worn behind the back, and even when worn normally they are not very noticeable.

Oct 14, 2013 at 3:26 AM Post #6 of 7

Users who are viewing this thread

Back