Best iPod speakers to buy for a college dorm room
Apr 10, 2007 at 1:46 PM Post #16 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Funkmonkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bought the Audioengine5's about a week ago. I am truly impressed with their sound. Crisp, clear, punchy, and loud ...with a good source recording (some of the stuff on my iPod plays pretty quietly, I need to run an output level equalizer or something) They seem to be burning in a bit and warming their sound. The bass is thick and deep, not boomy (no sub needed but they have an output for one if you want to really piss off your neighbors.) Very solidly built. check here http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...ht=audioengine for my very first impression. I really love these things and though I'm not a true audiophile, I have been a music junkie most of my life and I know what sounds good. They are not exactly cheap ($350 retail) I got mine for about $275 +ship, but worth every penny. If you don't like them I think you can send them back within 30 days for a refund. check their website for more reviews, or anywhere on the web, I haven't found anyone that didn't like them. Good luck.

Where'd you find them for that cheap?

Apr 11, 2007 at 4:04 AM Post #17 of 28
They were on a weekly (I think) special through Hi-Def Lifestyle.com but i had to link through a another forum, sorry don't remember which one though.
Google a coupon for them, thats how i found it. Their normal price was the best I could find without the discount. $309 I think, and free shipping.

Apr 11, 2007 at 1:22 PM Post #18 of 28
The hifis are back on the apple site for $229 w/ free shipping.

Apr 11, 2007 at 5:45 PM Post #19 of 28
Damn it, that's significantly cheaper than the audioengines...and I wouldn't have to buy a dock and remote to maximize its use either. You guys are making this choice tougher than it needs to be haha!

Apr 11, 2007 at 6:03 PM Post #20 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by CMasten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have an Apple Hi-Fi and run a fiber connect into it from my Marantz 5001 in addition to my IPOD as a 2nd source. For just smaller rooms indoor (or out) listening its awesome. from the remote you can switch over to the ext source without getting up and still control vol etc.

I LOVE that box, so well thought out, yea its a bit pricy compared to others out there, but NONE as well thought out for a portable unit. I take my unit to outdoor parties etc and its fun to watch peoples faces just light up! its loud as hell and clean.. people always come up and want to know how it can put out such clean volume, super smart powersupply will gradually just dial down the volume as the batteries run down, but I have yet to have the batteries actually die.

I wish I had one during my dorm days! the only real issue might be that its so cool and its so portable that it could easily walk off..

Really? When I went to the apple store, it sounded like crud. It had boomy bass and it wasnt really clean either

Apr 11, 2007 at 6:38 PM Post #21 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by TreAdidas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Acoustic Energy Aego M.

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo...mber=AE26%2D06

$200, you can get them in black or white. I own some Acoustic Energy bookshelf speakers and to this day you cannot hold a candle to them for their price. The predecessor to the Aego M's, the Aego 2, received reviews that more or less said:

When I saw a set of subwoofer satellite speakers for review I laughed, but these guys can actually get the job done.

I recommend these speakers to friends each and every time they pose the 'Hey Chuckie what are some good speakers for my computer/iPod?... and remember I don't want to spend as much as you do on your stuff." For $200 you will be stoked. Audio Advisor is a nice company as well.

x2. I own the Aego2 system, been connected to one Mac or another for 5 years now. When I bought mine they were listed at $599 (no, that's not what I paid). $200 is a bargain IMHO for this setup.

As far as that Altec Lansing you're looking at, I have the IM7 at work and it is not bad at all for an all-in-one system.

Apr 11, 2007 at 6:46 PM Post #22 of 28
I highly recommend the Monitor Audio iDeck. They were $350 when the first came out, but started turning up for $150 late last year at Musicdirect (link above) and Audio Advisor.

My wife got me one for our anniversary this year, and I have it in our bedroom, which is quite a bit bigger than my college dorm. Gorgeous sound, and plenty of it...has a sweet midrange and (at $150) the best price/performance ratio of any iPod speaker solution I've checked out. These things would rock a dorm room.

Besides that, I've heard great things about the AudioEngines.

Apr 11, 2007 at 7:05 PM Post #23 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Solitary1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2. I own the Aego2 system, been connected to one Mac or another for 5 years now. When I bought mine they were listed at $599 (no, that's not what I paid). $200 is a bargain IMHO for this setup.

x3 Have the Aego2 also. Very satisfied with its sound. Especially for the price.

Apr 17, 2007 at 3:53 AM Post #26 of 28
I too have the Monitor iDeck. For the current street price I can recommend it. All I can say is that I usually listen to expensive systems, yet I find that I do not mind listening to this unit for hours on end. It's somewhat bass impaired and you can't hear a lot of detail in the mix, but there's nothing grating or unpleasant about it on a wide variety of music.

It's also got an aux in so you can play other formats through it -- I have a tiny "Fix-Up" Sony AM/FM walkman plugged in to mine. I suppose I'd run my sound card through it if I were in a dorm.

I briefly heard the Bose in a store and thought the frequency response was unnatural.

Apr 17, 2007 at 4:22 AM Post #27 of 28
How about Logitech's z5500? Do you play video games? They come 5.1, you can throw parties, watch movies, listen to music, etc... Just replace the supplied speaker cables - they're pretty crappy.

Apr 18, 2007 at 9:35 PM Post #28 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by denisavu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about Logitech's z5500? Do you play video games? They come 5.1, you can throw parties, watch movies, listen to music, etc... Just replace the supplied speaker cables - they're pretty crappy.

The problem with 5.1 speakers is the wires get messy running all across the floor, unless I want to get really long ones and tape them on the wall and over the door frame. I can't do much to hide them well in a dorm room, so they aren't exactly ideal. Plus the space is so small that the speakers will all be too close together to produce the appropriate surround effect wouldn't they?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back