Best iPod 'phones
Mar 18, 2003 at 5:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

kaeric

New Head-Fier
I believe there have been threads like this in the past but, what do you guys feel are the best 'phones for an iPod?

Mar 19, 2003 at 7:59 PM Post #3 of 6
ER4Ps sound great out of my NJB3 too. Seem a little thin with the 4S adapter, but i'm just really picky w/my 4Ss..... CHA47 fixes that whole problem.

Mar 20, 2003 at 11:50 PM Post #5 of 6
Hi All -

I've a 10GB iPod, a Super Mini v.5, pairs of Grado RS-1's, ER 4P's, ER 4S's.

All MP3'3 ripped at 192bps. Tested above headphones with the Ipod, with and without the Super Mini. My conclusions:

Neither the 4S or the 4P has satisfying Bass (to me), either with or without the SuperMini. (Tried Bass Boost, Treble reduction, various EQ selections using the iPod.... what the iPod REALLY needs, is an equalizer with adjustable sliders, instead of these presets we're stuck with).

As much as I like the other aspects of the Etymotics (soundstage, transparency, etc.), the lack of viceral Bass in the lower, and mid registers simply sounded weak, period. I am not a Basshead, I simply wanted a balanced presentation. I don't think the Ety's delivered, IMO (in this particular arrangement, at least).

Next, those Grado RS-1's (surely a gift from the heavens, under most conditions). The sound, Bass good, tight balanced. However, the highs were too bright, even strident in most recordings, regardless of the presets used on the iPod.

Finally settled on the Sony MDR -NC11's. Good bass, somewhat muddy and vague in the mid registers, but with the iPod's Treble boost engaged, reasonably listenable; in fact after weaning my ears off of my home rig for a few minutes pretty satifying, everything considered.

(Remember, folks, these are, afterall MP3 renditions. Nowhere would I recommend this setup for anything even vaguely resembling a critical listening scenario, but the iPod/SuperMini/Sony NC11's incredible portability is second to none. (And I mean NONE).

Using a CaseLogic case to hold the works (the particular in question model being only a little bigger/thicker than a deck of cards), all the above mentioned goodies fit into my shirt/jacket pocket, and provides 10 hours of non stop music for on the go listening, no question about it!

Hope you enjoyed my opinion on this setup.

As always, I welcome ideas, suggestions, etc.

-zeldon

Mar 21, 2003 at 12:10 AM Post #6 of 6
i'm listening to the ipod + D66 Eggo as I type this at work and the sound is very good.

I *never* use the ipod's EQ as I have found that it distorts some of my music. I encode at 256k CBR LAME.

This is a fun little setup thats failry portable as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back