Best iPod for sound quality?
Oct 11, 2010 at 10:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

sparktography

100+ Head-Fier
Which of the current-gen iPods have the best sound? I'm looking to ditch my iPhone for a Windows Phone when they come out, so I want a dedicated DAP. Any models to stay away from? The Nano is super-sexy looking, but I wonder if it will be able to drive JH16's or my Grado 325's.

I was never fully happy with the way the iPhone drove the Grado's - am I doomed to have to get a portable amp with whatever I end up getting?

Oct 11, 2010 at 10:53 PM Post #3 of 6
Sadly portable isn't negotiable for an amp. I listen to music constantly while out and about.

What iPod sounds best without an amp? Classic? Touch?

Oct 11, 2010 at 11:07 PM Post #4 of 6
The iPod touch has the best SQ, as it's got the cleanest sound and best bass & treble. This is from the HP out, not with an amp, as you've requested. The classic sounds good, same for the nano 5G, but the touch is the best in their lineup.

Oct 11, 2010 at 11:12 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:
The iPod touch has the best SQ, as it's got the cleanest sound and best bass & treble. This is from the HP out, not with an amp, as you've requested. The classic sounds good, same for the nano 5G, but the touch is the best in their lineup.

Thanks! I can always try the touch and still get a portable amp later if I'm still not happy with the way it drives the Grado's.

Oct 11, 2010 at 11:21 PM Post #6 of 6
If you Grados are 32ohm it'll drive them just fine. The HO out on the touch is decently powered, so you should be good to go. Plus, since the iOS 4 FW came out, the SQ of the touch's presets has stopped distorting across the board. I think you'll like what you hear when you demo it - but do the testing at home, so you can use your own tunes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back