Best iPod For Powering UE super.fi 5EB?
Dec 27, 2005 at 2:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

integlspwr

New Head-Fier
Anyone know which generation ipod has the best headphone amp to power the UE super.fi 5EB ? I know the Nano is out of the quesiton, so any suggestions would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks!

Dec 27, 2005 at 2:18 AM Post #2 of 13
Well it really depends on how much bass quantity you want. The super.fi EB is probably the bassiest IEM out there. If you're the extreme basshead
basshead.gif
then you'de probably want the 5G iPod Video. But if your the mild to regular basshead then you can always get the iPod Nano, 4G iPod Photo/Colour or 4G iPod B&W. The 4th Generation iPods are also cheaper now that the iPod Video, and if you choose to go all out and get an external amp, then you can always iMod it.

Dec 27, 2005 at 2:26 AM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by firefox360
Well it really depends on how much bass quantity you want. The super.fi EB is probably the bassiest IEM out there. If you're the extreme basshead
basshead.gif
then you'de probably want the 5G iPod Video. But if your the mild to regular basshead then you can always get the iPod Nano, 4G iPod Photo/Colour or 4G iPod B&W. The 4th Generation iPods are also cheaper now that the iPod Video, and if you choose to go all out and get an external amp, then you can always iMod it.

I just want to use my EB's to their full potential. So I should be looking at the 5G ipod? I had one but sold it for a PSP, what a bad idea.

Also whats the smallest external amp i can get that will power the EB's to their full potential?

If anyone else care to comment, that would be great. Thanks!

Dec 28, 2005 at 10:25 AM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by integlspwr
Anymore FeedBack is greatly apprciated..

Thanks!

firefox360 already pretty much said it all. 5th Gen video iPod or Shuffle if you want extreme bass. Otherwise any other iPod will do.

Dec 28, 2005 at 10:58 AM Post #10 of 13
The differences between a 5g and a nano are quite minor IME.

Furthermore, the difference between the 5G/nano and previous generations is also relatively minor. Bass handling is improved, so stay with the latest tier of iPods.

It depends on what you are looking for. For best sound, Id say the shuffle. It will give you the most "authoritative" sound (again, IME) with a flat output (not bass roll-off).

Dec 28, 2005 at 6:12 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by halcyon
firefox360 already pretty much said it all. 5th Gen video iPod or Shuffle if you want extreme bass. Otherwise any other iPod will do.

Personally I like the bass from 5th Gen the best. The shuffle bass is on the same level but the detail isn't there as much(slight lose of detail in bass).

Dec 28, 2005 at 6:28 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisfromalbany
Personally I like the bass from 5th Gen the best. The shuffle bass is on the same level but the detail isn't there as much(slight lose of detail in bass).

Most likely due to the SigmaTel DAC. Anyways regarding the original question, the best non-external amped iPod + EB system would have to be the iPod Video. It won't bring the absolute best out of the EB's but will get you pretty darn close.

If you do consider an amp, and don't want to spend too much, then you can always get the iPod Video along with the PA2V2 at $60 to get the best out of the EB's and also to get the extreme bass that those EB's can produce.

Dec 28, 2005 at 8:04 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by sumguy_
The differences between a 5g and a nano are quite minor IME.

Furthermore, the difference between the 5G/nano and previous generations is also relatively minor. Bass handling is improved, so stay with the latest tier of iPods.

I'm not sure about your experience (only you can know that), but the bass roll-of fix from previous generations to 5tgh gen iPods is REAL, measurable and audible (with low impedance cans).

This means that at 40Hz you are not anymore -10 dB down in bass level, but almost completely flat (with low impedance phones).

That's a fairly big and clearly audible difference.

Whether that's audible to your ears, depends on your music (test tracks), set of headphones used and of course your hearing/preferences.

But the difference is there and it's not minor in the bass department.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back