Best iPod compact flash adapter?
Apr 9, 2009 at 2:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Punnisher

Headphoneus Supremus
I have an ipod 30gb 5g in the mail and want to use my 32gb CF card.

There are numerous ones listed on ebay and I remember one in particular that was triangular shaped.

Which ones do you have experience with?

Apr 9, 2009 at 7:33 AM Post #2 of 17
the one on dealxtreme which ships free for around 5 buks is the tried and tested one.... i ordered two just in case
smily_headphones1.gif
happy modding

DealExtreme: $4.72 CF to Toshiba 1.8-inch IDE Hard Drive Converter

Apr 9, 2009 at 10:19 AM Post #3 of 17
Apr 9, 2009 at 10:39 AM Post #4 of 17
Maybe its just me, but I find opening up iPods to be impossible for some reason.

Is there a certain technique or tool or something? I've watched every single tutorial out there and still can't open the damn things.

Apr 9, 2009 at 11:48 AM Post #5 of 17
I use Tarkan Akdam's iFlash. I converted my iMod some time ago - over 8 months - and absolutely love it. His second version is really well done and fits nice and snug. Keep in mind, write times are kind of slow so be patient when you load your iPod after the conversion.

As for opening an iPod: There are numerous tools out there, one of which I do use. You need something that is flat - about 1/4 inch wide - and comes to sharp point. Ideally the tool is a somewhat soft plastic so it doesn't scratch the unit. The trick is getting the point between the two halves so you can pry the metal backing away to clear the catches. I've found, at least for mine, starting at a corner works best and then I work it to the side where I then start prying. Once you've got one catch clear you just work around the unit. You get the hang of it. I can open mine in less than 30 seconds.

Apr 9, 2009 at 1:49 PM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsx_23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My opening tools just seem to keep breaking (ie the tip wears down quickly).......

The opening tools are meant for single use. So if you screwed them in your attempts then they are almost useless. In my case, I'd use an exacto knife to trim the plastic opener tool and trim them nicely so that they can be re-used. Opening an iPod can be daunting if this is the first time you doing it. I can pry open an iPod with just one opening tool in under 30 seconds. Apply pressure using your hand/fingers with pulling motion on the metal back plate and shove the opening tool in one fluid motion. They will crack open with no marks on the iPod sides.

If the tool is not working for you at all, then you can find a guitar pick which is very suitable for the job

Good luck!

Apr 9, 2009 at 2:30 PM Post #9 of 17
Be careful of starting or applying lots of pressure along the top edge, ive seen a video of a cracked screen that way.

Ive started at the top before now then slide it round to the sides but after seeing that vid im real cautious of doing too much case entry from the top any more, the sides should be all you need, as said, pop one catch then work down one side and move onto the other side and it just lifts away then.

Apr 9, 2009 at 3:27 PM Post #10 of 17
I used the green dealextreme adapter in my h120 and it works well, though the jumper has to be trimmed or bent.

I have the black DX adapter too, somewhere, and wanted to use it in an h330, but the h320 doesn't work properly so it's moot.

Apr 9, 2009 at 3:50 PM Post #11 of 17
Ok I'll check out the Deal Extreme green card posted above.

That's the same one used in my iaudio X5. Maybe I'll get a few of them since they're dirt cheap.

Just for clarification: this will work in the 5g ipods? All the reviews are from 4g users. I'm wondering if the 5g uses the same interface.

Edit: seems the 5g ipods use Zif, so I'll have to track one down that uses Zif.

Here's the one that you're all probably talking about. I'll get a handful right away. http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.11814

Apr 9, 2009 at 7:43 PM Post #12 of 17
Well, yeah, 5g use zif. it turns out that DX sells both black and green versions of that, too, and apparently the green one works in ipods and the black one doesn't - though my testing with the zif adapters shows that the differences are easily fixed.

Apr 10, 2009 at 3:50 PM Post #15 of 17
I got the Tarkan Akdam's iFlash. I chose this one because there is a lot of support for it in terms of getting rockbox running well on it. Plus I know it works on the classic too. It's the one I was thinking about but couldn't remember it's name.

Thanks for the recommendations. I'll be getting the DX card for 1.8" toshiba hdd for my X5L too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back