Best ipod cables (mini to RCA)
Jul 30, 2005 at 6:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

newmanoc

100+ Head-Fier
As part of investigating using my ipod as the source in a small office system , I need to choose cables to lead from my ipod into my preamp or headphone amp (havn't decided which it will be yet). I thinking about the Zu offering, since I am very fond of the Mobius. Any experience and recommendations with this or other cables would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Jul 30, 2005 at 6:50 AM Post #2 of 11
Ever tried DIY? It's fairly cost efficient and the quality is usually equal or better than most sellers.

Cheers,

Jefff

Aug 1, 2005 at 5:15 AM Post #4 of 11
hmm im confused with the lineout...how does it improve sound quality? even with a home amp would a pocketdock still be useful? couldnt i just plug my mini into the mini slot up top and then connect the RCA to the amp?

I have seen different versions, one where you have to plug a IC into the pocketdock and another where there is a cable built in...does it matter?

Aug 1, 2005 at 1:28 PM Post #5 of 11
The lineout bypasses the ipods amp and uses the headphone amp or the amp is is plugged into. You can waste your money spending a load on a cable, only to find out that you are going through the ipod's amp and the headphone amp's amp. A line out is a much cleaner signal if you are using an amp.

Aug 1, 2005 at 7:25 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by meat01
The lineout bypasses the ipods amp and uses the headphone amp or the amp is is plugged into. You can waste your money spending a load on a cable, only to find out that you are going through the ipod's amp and the headphone amp's amp. A line out is a much cleaner signal if you are using an amp.

There are reports that the Ipod headphone jack especially pre version four is not all that it is cracked up to be. I get a hum with my UE5's because they are sensitive ans sometimes it is worse if you use a headphone amp. Line out is best. Silver Dragon actually do a dock with cable hard wired. There have been reports about their cables taking a very long time to break in. You might like to try HeadFier RnB180 or another cable maker in these forums. Look under the DIY threads. If you do it yourself you won't save anything and it may be a frustrating experience if you are not experienced with an iron like me.

Aug 3, 2005 at 1:57 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

If you get a Sik RAM Din, the interconnect is included.

And isn't there certain issues with the pocketdock?
confused.gif

Here is what I found to answer my own question:

"The SiK Ram Din is a better value than the others for use with a portable amp. You don't need to buy a mini to mini interconnect. You just plug it straight into the amp and go. Ram din is also nearly $10 cheaper than the Sendstation Pocketdock after shipping.

The Pocketdock is supposed to be slightly higher quality because you can use your own interconnect with it. However, this means you need to spend more money on an interconnect on top of the Pocketdock, which is already more expensive than the SiK. The cables included with the Pocketdock are too long to use with a portable and they are not high quality. Also note that the Pocketdock does not fit with certain iPod cases because it is larger than standard dock connectors."

At least one reply . . .

Aug 3, 2005 at 2:09 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by nice-biscuit
There are reports that the Ipod headphone jack especially pre version four is not all that it is cracked up to be. I get a hum with my UE5's because they are sensitive ans sometimes it is worse if you use a headphone amp. Line out is best. Silver Dragon actually do a dock with cable hard wired. There have been reports about their cables taking a very long time to break in. You might like to try HeadFier RnB180 or another cable maker in these forums. Look under the DIY threads. If you do it yourself you won't save anything and it may be a frustrating experience if you are not experienced with an iron like me.

Even on the 4G iPod headphone jack there's still humming and b/g noise on my Etys, HD280s etc. I try not to even think about my one and only one experience of it with my K501s... *shudders*

RnB180 is super-fast. I ordered on Sunday and he dropped it in the mail Monday. That's fast. Also he's really responsive and would always give any advice or opinions as asked. Absolutely looking forward to receiving the puppy.
580smile.gif

I bought the PocketDock as I prefer using my own cables rather than the stock stuff on the Ram Din. While there have been arguments made that with the iPod you can't hear any difference, I'd still rather have the choice rather than not. Besides, those stock cables came in handy for car trips into my line-in on the car stereo...or strangling the SO when we are lost (somehow, asking directions is a very difficult task for some people to comprehend. Same with the concept of speed limits as suggestions.)
very_evil_smiley.gif

Aug 3, 2005 at 5:34 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Wow, thats alot of "amps."
(Hase mutters, "amp amp amp, amp amp, amps amp amp...")

I think I agree though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back