Best intro pair of headphones for psychill/downtempo
Sep 19, 2012 at 12:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Kittenface

New Head-Fier
I've never bought expensive headphones before, and originally I was planning on going all in and buying the HD-650's and the E17 amp/DAC. After some consideration, I've decided that's really the completely wrong way of going about this. I think the experience really is best when you grow into it. When I'm able to appreciate sound first from a "good" pair of headphones, and then slowly start to be able to pick out and appreciate all the subtle nuances of better and better headphones.

With that said, I'd like to start out with a pair around $100 or less. I will be listening to a lot of "psychedelic" downtempo music and some trance-y stuff. Think Carbon Based Lifeforms, M83, ATB, Enigma, David Guetta, etc. I'd call it "electronic," but it isn't very technology-ish sounding, if that makes sense, like most electronic music. I was considering the Koss DJ100s, but quite a few people seem to criticize them for comfort, and I happen to have a pretty big head. Another headphone I'm looking at now is the Audio Technica ADH-AD700.

I appreciate any advice.

Edit: Bought the JVC RX700's off a friend's VERY emphatic recommendation. But I'd still love to listen to recommendations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back