"Best" interconnect for Meridian 508.24?
Dec 5, 2004 at 2:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

mshan

1000+ Head-Fier
I know that the "best" interconnect will ultimately depend on overall system synergy and personal preference, but what interconnects have others found that just seem to lock in (i.e. just sound right) with the Meridian 508.24?

If possible, please specify why?

Dec 5, 2004 at 4:16 AM Post #2 of 8
Are you using the balanced or single ended outputs? What amp(s) are you using? Speakers, headphones, or both?

[Edit] ah - I see from your sig that you have a ppx3 and hd600's, so youi are talking single ended. [/Edit]

fwiw, I have a 588, and use Monster 850i for balanced connection to a Stax 007t tube amp for Omega II's with good results.

For single ended to my speaker setup or other headamps, I use Luminous Audio Synchresta Reference IC's. There are many others as good, and I am of the school that avoids most of the techno jargon around cables, and the claims of astounding difference in performance. I do firmly believe that a high level of materials, design, and build quality is important, and am willing to shell out $$ for that, rather than the overly touted sonic benefits.

I have also use IC's from Dan Kaps at Heartland Cables, and highly recommend them as hugh value for the $$, particularly when fitted with Eichmann Bullets.

Dec 5, 2004 at 6:55 AM Post #3 of 8
I used the Grover SRs with my Meridian 508 with really, really good results. I think they are an excellent match for this player. I didn't get the opportunity to hear it with my Empress cables before shipping off meridian, but I suspect I might have prefered that player w/ grovers as the source was already super smooth.

Dec 5, 2004 at 5:03 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by mshan
What do you guys think of Nordost Blue Heaven with the Meridian 508.24?

Not having heard this combination, I cannot say. My speculation is that the NBH's should do very well, indeed, but at that price point an audition before purchase seems warranted.

Dec 5, 2004 at 6:56 PM Post #6 of 8
I had a 508.24 a couple years back. Although the associated equipment was different, I can say that "fast" cables sounded better to me. What is fast? Having detail without getting too mushy (some basic copper cables can get a little smearing or mushy), but also not hyper-detailed to the point of brightness (like some silver cables).

ZCable Live v4 was great with my Meridian; that's what i used the most at the time. I was feeding either an Antique Sound Lab KI-22 Fox DT (6C33C integrated), or a Pathos Twin Towers integrated (hybrid, tube front end, "Inpol" SS amp).

I bought a ZCable Live v5 from a gent here, I like that a lot, too. I sold off the v4's last year.

But I think these, or the Nordost, might be a nice combo, as the Nordost are also very "fast" cables. Stay away from the Red Dawn, though; that was excessively bright for my tastes, even in partially tube-based systems.

My 2 cents....

Todd.

Dec 5, 2004 at 11:51 PM Post #7 of 8
I have a 508.20 (not 24 bit) but I have tried it w/ the following and most sounded very good.
Harmonic Technology Truthlink
Acoustic Zen WOW
DiMarzio MPath
DiMarzio High Def
Tributaries Silver

I couldn't tell the difference between the 1st three.
The tributaries sounded slightly (not much) different but not really worse.
The DM high def sounded distincly worse than all the others.
My Pre/Headamp is a Stealth.
Hope that helps.
CPW

Dec 6, 2004 at 12:00 AM Post #8 of 8
I always felt the Meridian was too smooth and controlled with the wrong IC's. Just for hoots, at a recent meet, I slapped on my Bogdan Silver Princess cables - these are not "snake oil expensive" mind you...$100.00 for a meter I think.

Fantastic sound. Simple straightforward design...brilliant results...excellent end connectors (Eichmann Bullet Plugs) that really latch onto the RCA's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back