Best inexpensive NONlinear earphones with lots of midrange
Jan 7, 2009 at 11:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

StringTheory

New Head-Fier
You haven't heard that request before, eh? <g>

I'm looking for a specific application: Use with a Korg Pandora headphone/FX amp for guitar rehearsal. Normal guitar speakers are fairly mid-rich and roll off sharply at around 6Khz or so. The Pandora does have speaker emulation filters, but the sound is still a bit shrill. So I'm looking for something that specifically rolls off treble, and projects a lot of midrange.

I was using older Sony MDR-228LP's, MDR-268LP's (a bit clearer--not as good in this app). They both had a sort of dense, rolled off sound. But those are out of production.

Anything come to mind? Obviously not looking to spend audiophile $ for these, especially as they get banged around a bit.

Thanks

Jan 10, 2009 at 6:11 AM Post #2 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by StringTheory /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You haven't heard that request before, eh? <g>

I'm looking for a specific application: Use with a Korg Pandora headphone/FX amp for guitar rehearsal. Normal guitar speakers are fairly mid-rich and roll off sharply at around 6Khz or so. The Pandora does have speaker emulation filters, but the sound is still a bit shrill. So I'm looking for something that specifically rolls off treble, and projects a lot of midrange.

I was using older Sony MDR-228LP's, MDR-268LP's (a bit clearer--not as good in this app). They both had a sort of dense, rolled off sound. But those are out of production.

Anything come to mind? Obviously not looking to spend audiophile $ for these, especially as they get banged around a bit.

Thanks

Nothing? All I want is some really crappy headphones. Surely someone can recommend something. <g>

Jan 10, 2009 at 1:43 PM Post #3 of 6
mids?

shure e3(currently scl3 has the most mids I ever heard. Both quantity and quality wise)

Just need to find the right deal on them

Jan 10, 2009 at 4:18 PM Post #4 of 6
look into the iGrados sounds like you want a grado-ey sound sig. The shures have a very nice midrange hump too but it sounds like you don't want to spend too much. Maybe check out jbl reference 220s highs are evident but not too shrill and are masked by mids and bass.

btw.. is that you mark?

Jan 10, 2009 at 4:46 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Wang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
mids?

shure e3(currently scl3 has the most mids I ever heard. Both quantity and quality wise)

Just need to find the right deal on them

SCL3 guitarcenter.com has them for $59.

Jan 16, 2009 at 1:41 AM Post #6 of 6
NDS;5269435 said:
look into the iGrados sounds like you want a grado-ey sound sig. The shures have a very nice midrange hump too but it sounds like you don't want to spend too much. Maybe check out jbl reference 220s highs are evident but not too shrill and are masked by mids and bass.
QUOTE]

Thanks for the replies. Some definitive info at last. I've been looking around for a while.

The iGrados, from what I know, are behind-the-neck headphones, right? I'll have a look, but that style always bothered me. Not sure if they make earphone-style equivalents.

The JBL 220s sound like they'd fit the bill. Spec on efficiency is lower than some others, but I don't need crushing volume, so they may work. Have to see if the FX box will drive them.

Seems like the Shures would work as well. I was just looking at SCL2's, as someone mentioned that they had somewhat attenuated highs. Maybe boomy though. Anyone know the difference between the SCL2's and SCL3's?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back