Best in-ear silicone/rubber buds for under $40?
Mar 28, 2012 at 5:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

zgomot

New Head-Fier
Hello, this forum was recommended by a fellow member of KVRAudio so here I am. wave.jpg

I've owned 2 pairs of Sennheiser CX300, the I and the II and I've been terribly happy with them, until yesterday morning when my 3-year old CX300 IIs said bye bye. One side went mute and there seems not to be anything wrong with the cable... twisting an turning it all along its length does nothing. I think they pretty much died so I need new earbuds. 

I'm ideally looking for cheap quality buds for my Nexus S (and maybe other mp3 players) I'd want them to be small, comfortable, sounding as flat as possible. I loved the CX300 IIs... they sounded balanced although slightly bassy, but I actually liked that feature. I was most impressed by their accurate and pleasant representation (?) of high frequencies.

What would you recommend for replacement, under $40, cheaper the better?

I found these Panasonic earbuds for very cheap at a local store and from what I see reviews are pretty good. But the price being so low - I can get them for $8 - makes me a bit skeptical of their quality.

Mar 28, 2012 at 6:11 AM Post #2 of 11
Dunu Tridents sound perfect for you. If you streatch your budget get HiSound POP, or for really cheap go for Denon AH-C260.

Kind regards

Mar 28, 2012 at 6:13 AM Post #3 of 11
CX-400iis, simple enough. I had a pair for 1 year untill they finally died, and up until then had a nice amount of bass, and were super clear. Cheap aswell, only 25 bucks off eBay

Mar 28, 2012 at 6:18 AM Post #4 of 11

Quote:
Dunu Tridents sound perfect for you. If you streatch your budget get HiSound POP, or for really cheap go for Denon AH-C260.
Kind regards

I would much prefer the Denons... I honestly think the Dunu Tridents look like crap. They also appear to be quite heavy.

Quote:
CX-400iis, simple enough. I had a pair for 1 year untill they finally died, and up until then had a nice amount of bass, and were super clear. Cheap aswell, only 25 bucks off eBay

Yeah, but I'd rather get something locally and not wait for two or three weeks until they get here.

Thank you both for your input.

Mar 28, 2012 at 6:20 AM Post #5 of 11
well, that depends, where do you live? if you live in Australia theres one link thatll take 2 days to arrive. If you live in America, amazon.com is your best bet, but i wouldnt know much since ive used amazon a handful of times

Mar 28, 2012 at 7:08 AM Post #6 of 11
ok, your opinion. But the tridents are extremly good for the price. Build quality is excellent too. But the Denons will serve you good if you get them. Ive had mine for a year, my mum used them for a while, now i have passed them on to my granny.

Mar 28, 2012 at 9:26 AM Post #7 of 11
For the price, the $8 JVC Riptidz sounds excellent. If you want something with more bass impact, the Panasonic RP-HJE450($23) sounds quite nice. Since they are so cheap, you might want to buy both. The Riptidz is listed as sweat and water resistant, so it would be a good choice for use while exercising. I have the Panasonic RP-HJE120 as well. The HJE120 has nice treble, but is bass deficient. The Riptidz sounds much better than the HJE120.The new RP-HJE140 looks much more promising than the HJE120.I don't know how the HJE140 compares to the Riptidz.  I haven't tried it yet.

Mar 28, 2012 at 9:40 AM Post #8 of 11

Quote:
ok, your opinion. But the tridents are extremly good for the price. Build quality is excellent too. But the Denons will serve you good if you get them. Ive had mine for a year, my mum used them for a while, now i have passed them on to my granny.

Thanks.

Quote:
For the price, the $8 JVC Riptidz sounds excellent. If you want something with more bass impact, the Panasonic RP-HJE450($23) sounds quite nice. Since they are so cheap, you might want to buy both. The Riptidz is listed as swaeat and water resistant, so it would be a good choice for use while exercising. I have the Panasonic RP-HJE120 as well. The HJE120 has nice treble, but is bass deficient. The Riptidz sounds much better than the HJE120.The new RP-HJE140 looks much more promising than the HJE120.I don't know how the HJE140 compares to the Riptidz.  I haven't tried it yet.

Very good suggestions, thank you.

Quote:
well, that depends, where do you live? if you live in Australia theres one link thatll take 2 days to arrive. If you live in America, amazon.com is your best bet, but i wouldnt know much since ive used amazon a handful of times

I'm in Romania and stuff from America gets here in 3 weeks.

Mar 28, 2012 at 10:35 AM Post #10 of 11
The Panasonic RP_HJE120 is  bass deficient, but does respond well to a bass boost using your player's equilizer, so if the Riptidz isn't available, or the RP-HJE450 is too expensive, you could try the RP-HJE120 and boosting the bass with your player's equilizer. Equilization will make up for the bass deficiency on the HJE120, however the HJE450 has much more detail than the HJE120. The HJE120 has a 9mm driver, while the HJE450 has a 12.5mm driver. The HJE120 is just 96 db/mw, while the HJE450 is 102 db/mw, so the HJE450 will play 6db louder with the same amount of power. The Riptidz has an 11mm driver and is 101 db/mw.

Mar 28, 2012 at 11:00 AM Post #11 of 11
E30 is excellent if you want a balanced sound. OP like the bass of CX300, so he would not like E30.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back