Best In-Ear monitors for around $50?
Nov 13, 2010 at 8:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

AlphaAndOmega

New Head-Fier
I've had a set of Shure SE210's for a couple of years now and they have went kaput for the second time. About a year ago the left side got real soft, but they were still under warranty so I sent them in for a new set. Now they have failed me again (barely any volume even at the max setting on ipod/laptop) so I'm looking for something new. What would be you guy's recommendations for a set with a budget of $50? Maybe someone is having some sort of sale right now? I've been looking for a used set, but pickings are slim.

I listen to a pretty wide variety of music, mostly indie type stuff. Some lower-end headphones tend to have overpowering bass, this is something I would like to avoid. They also need to have a modular cable, as I tend to go through them every couple of months it seems. 

tia

Nov 14, 2010 at 1:16 AM Post #2 of 7
Requiring a modular cable will really narrow down your options in this price range. I would recommend you forget about that and just get something with a reasonably durable cord. I think you've still got two more days to pre-order the Brainwavz M1 or ProAlpha from mp4nation.net. $29.50 for either is a great deal. The ProAlpha should be heavier on the bass and lighter on the treble and has slightly better build quality while the M1 is more balanced.

Nov 14, 2010 at 1:19 AM Post #3 of 7

Quote:
I've had a set of Shure SE210's for a couple of years now and they have went kaput for the second time. About a year ago the left side got real soft, but they were still under warranty so I sent them in for a new set. Now they have failed me again (barely any volume even at the max setting on ipod/laptop) so I'm looking for something new. What would be you guy's recommendations for a set with a budget of $50? Maybe someone is having some sort of sale right now? I've been looking for a used set, but pickings are slim.

I listen to a pretty wide variety of music, mostly indie type stuff. Some lower-end headphones tend to have overpowering bass, this is something I would like to avoid. They also need to have a modular cable, as I tend to go through them every couple of months it seems. 

tia

I'd go with ljokerl, though I would recommend stretching your budget just a bit more and get the M2's instead, the cabling on these are probably the top at the $100 and below range

Nov 14, 2010 at 3:09 AM Post #4 of 7
Altec Lansing UHP336 Snugfit are $50 on Amazon and Im impressed with the ones I got for my girlfriend. They used UE technology and are supposed to be close to a rebranded Super fi 5. The cables are even replaceable with UE ones.

Nov 14, 2010 at 12:57 PM Post #5 of 7
Thanks for the replies guys. Anybody have experience with these recommendations and the Shure SE210's? I'm wondering how they stack up in terms of sound quality.

Also I found a set of Etymotic ER6i's for $55 shipped, would I be better off with these than the IEM's mentioned in this thread?

The Brainwavz M1 and the Pro Alpha seem like pretty good deals, I'm a bit worried about the balance though. The last thing I want is a set with booming bass that kills the mids and highs.

Nov 14, 2010 at 12:59 PM Post #6 of 7
I have the Kicker eb141's. Although almost no one around here has them, I have been seriously impressed with the sound quality they give out. They cost $50 @ Best Buy, and can be found lower online.

Nov 14, 2010 at 4:55 PM Post #7 of 7

Quote:
The Brainwavz M1 and the Pro Alpha seem like pretty good deals, I'm a bit worried about the balance though. The last thing I want is a set with booming bass that kills the mids and highs.

Nope, neither of them has booming bass. Not even close. If you like accuracy get the M1, if you like a little bit of added warmth, get the ProAlpha. I would take either over the Er6i, which can  be tinny and cold and the UHP336 (which is a rebadged Superfi3, not Superfi5).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back