Best In-Ear Mixing Monitors?
Apr 2, 2012 at 11:30 PM Post #3 of 20
DJ. Budget....ehhhh....hah touchy subject 
devil_face.gif
, probly around $600?

Apr 2, 2012 at 11:36 PM Post #5 of 20
^ Agreed. Always thought headphones were more practical for DJs.

I would imagine (having no DJ experience myself) that you'd want to avoid something bass-heavy, otherwise you'll EQ the bass too far down in the mix. Beyond that, though, I can't see how good you'd really need sound quality to be on DJ headphones/in-ears. Just get something decently accurate/neutral and isolating.

Apr 3, 2012 at 4:54 PM Post #6 of 20

Quote:
^ Agreed. Always thought headphones were more practical for DJs.

I would imagine (having no DJ experience myself) that you'd want to avoid something bass-heavy, otherwise you'll EQ the bass too far down in the mix. Beyond that, though, I can't see how good you'd really need sound quality to be on DJ headphones/in-ears. Just get something decently accurate/neutral and isolating.

Which would be....? I'm a noob to IEM's 
beerchug.gif

Apr 3, 2012 at 9:22 PM Post #7 of 20
I think the Westone UM3X is pretty neutral, comfy and isolating. Never owned one, but I have tried it on occasion.
Lots of people also seem to agree that the Etymotic earphones are neutral, but I don't know which model to recommend. I tried one a long time ago and didn't like the fit--it sits really deep inside the ear.

Still, why IEMs? Why not headphones for DJing?

Apr 3, 2012 at 10:03 PM Post #8 of 20
Well I'm going to be "technically" mixing. The tracks are basically already mixed when I'm DJing. I just like the idea of isolating what I hear from the crowd. Helps me really get into the music myself.

Apr 3, 2012 at 10:14 PM Post #9 of 20
Ok...well, you'll forgive me if I don't really understand what "technical" mixing is. I'm just trying to point out that:
a) Headphones can isolate just as well as in-ears (with few exceptions)
b) Headphones are cheaper

I really, really see no particular need for in-ears in your case.

Apr 4, 2012 at 2:14 AM Post #10 of 20
This could very well be true. I was just trying to get some opinions on IEM's. If everyone seems to think that isolation headphones would work better, I'm all down for that.

Thanks again!

Apr 4, 2012 at 2:18 AM Post #11 of 20
I don't think anyone would dispute the fact that there are good IEMs, it's just that you'd pay a premium to have IEMs that can do what full-sized headphones can do...

Apr 4, 2012 at 5:35 AM Post #12 of 20
For isolation, I would say to get a good sealed can, and stuff plugs into your ears underneath. More convenient than constantly removing an IEM to check the sound. There's also the bang for buck factor, which will be better outside the IEM world.

Apr 5, 2012 at 5:03 AM Post #14 of 20

Quote:
I think the Westone UM3X is pretty neutral, comfy and isolating. Never owned one, but I have tried it on occasion.
Lots of people also seem to agree that the Etymotic earphones are neutral, but I don't know which model to recommend. I tried one a long time ago and didn't like the fit--it sits really deep inside the ear.

Still, why IEMs? Why not headphones for DJing?

i have the hf5, its pretty good...

Apr 5, 2012 at 12:32 PM Post #15 of 20
I'm surprised nobody suggested a GR07, as it is designed as a studio-monitor IEM, and it's not all talk either, it's received rave reviews from highly regarded reviewers such as Joker and ClieOS... I just got them few days ago, after some intense burning in, I can agree that it is very neutral, balanced, but doesn't lose the "fun" part of the music....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back