Best in ear headphones around £300 ($450 US)
Mar 26, 2010 at 7:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Marko3182

New Head-Fier
Right.... I'm a bit new to the whole high quality IEM's. Although ihace read quite a lot the past few days.

I currently own a pair of sennheiser IE6's. I was initially very disapponted with the bass response so under advice I bought some comply foam ear tips. These really improve the sound... But, still very weak bass! I am used to some £40 Sony in ear's and they still sound better to me bass wise?? But, don't get me wrong I am not a bass junky... Jut like to hear a good balanced sound.
I own a B & W zepplin iPod dock and I think this gives a great spacial sound and good all round EQ response... I want a headphone to do the same!

I am a musician and listen to a lot of different music genres and want something that will suit most things!

In the running at the moment are: shure se530's. UE triplefi 10's. And sennheiser IE 8's. And also westone 3's

what do ai do??? And, is tee anything else really worth considering.

I will be using these phones for various things including air travel and running!!

Mar 27, 2010 at 4:39 PM Post #4 of 11
Ortofon e-Q7 and Shure SE530 are the best I've heard so far. I also owned Westone ES3X customs ($850 US + shipping and impressions) and I prefer both of the aforementioned universal fit IEMs to them. e-Q7 sounds great with the stock tips, at least in my ears, but the SE530 needs custom tips to sound its best, again based on my personal experience.

Mar 27, 2010 at 4:57 PM Post #5 of 11
I will recommend these IEMs Sennheiser IE8, IE7, Monster Turbine Pro Gold or MD Edtion, Sony MDR-EX700LP and JVC HA-FX700.

Mar 27, 2010 at 5:50 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pianist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ortofon e-Q7 and Shure SE530 are the best I've heard so far. I also owned Westone ES3X customs ($850 US + shipping and impressions) and I prefer both of the aforementioned universal fit IEMs to them. e-Q7 sounds great with the stock tips, at least in my ears, but the SE530 needs custom tips to sound its best, again based on my personal experience.

Shouldn't customs be at another level? This is the first time heard someone preferring universal to customs so mind explaining to us what you don' like about them? Is it a bad fit?

Apr 1, 2010 at 2:47 AM Post #8 of 11
Generally customs would be on another level but there are some amazing universals out now that sound better (obviously not better than the top of the line customs like the UE18 or JH#(?)s.... but the lower end models are beaten in SQ somewhat.

But you do get that perfect fit with customs that makes them that much better. But for balanced sound I picked up the Westone UM3Xs and love them. Very neutral, balanced sound with a slight emphasis in the mids (I just EQ that down a couple notches and I can hear a pretty flat sound all the way across
smily_headphones1.gif
Acoustic, New Age, Vocal, and Classical music sounds amazing on them.)

Apr 1, 2010 at 9:31 AM Post #10 of 11
"Better" is a difficult word when it comes to the top tier headphones, "different" is really more precise - the ones which you prefer will be down to how you like your sound.

Check out reviews and comparisons on the top tier IEMs, they each have their flaws and strengths (in build quality, sound signature etc), and of course your best bet is to audition them! But if that isn't an option, try to make the most informed choice based on what you read (and read a lot!).

What music do you listen to?

Apr 1, 2010 at 12:06 PM Post #11 of 11
with £300 you can probably buy any top universal IEM, and these are not really comparable imo, it just depend on your preference.

So describe your sound preference, so everyone can give you some recommendation
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back